Chapter 17

I heard Payphone playing softly somewhere...

Then I realized it was my phone.

I pulled it out of my pocket and stopped in my tracks on my way out of Rydell High.  I took a look at the screen and felt a huge wave of relief when I saw the caller.

Danny.

"Hey--" I began to say but I was cut off when I realized that I'm not talking to Danny.

Or anyone.

"Please, take me back, Danny," a woman's voice spoke which I have come to recognized as Kizzie's.

"Just...get me out of here," I heard Danny's voice struggle.

Kizzie made a smirk.  "If you weren't so dumb, you shouldn't have drunk the water Derek handed over."

"Aw, Kizzie.  Don't be too hard on Danny.  It was a good game on the field and everyone was tired.  You know, if I were him, I wouldn't have noticed it either."  The voice must be Derek's.

"What do you want from me, anyway?" Danny raged.

"Oh, I don't know," Kizzie said playfully.  I could hear her heels echoing in the background.  "You."

"Leave me alone."

"I wonder how your little Sandy is doing at a time like this."

I peeked out to the glass of the school door and realized that the sun had already gone down.  My talk with Principal Dunst was more than two hours.  It's probably five or six in the evening by now.

"Don't do anything to her!"

"Oh, I won't.  But his friends will."

"They saw her pics and, well, just like me, I thought she was a hot babe.  No wonder they would think the same."

"What are you talking about?" Danny said, his voice hard.

"Well, they'd be waiting to get a taste of her.  So, her best option would be to run."

"Well, it's a good timing since she just got out of mother's office," Kizzie said.

I swiveled and looked at the light coming out of Principal Dunst's office, my eyes blur with tears, scared of what was going on.

"Your mother knows about this?" Danny asked.

"Oh, no, no.  She's stupid," she smirked.

I began to walk back to the principal's office and just in time, Principal Dunst was ready to leave.  "Oh, Sandra.  What are you still doing here?" she asked.

I felt my spine shiver and everything was a blur, until I couldn't make out her face, the phone still held against my ear, hearing their conversation which now sounded all muffed up.

"What's wrong?" she asked, worried as she took the phone away from my hand.  She listened for  a couple of minutes until the line died.

"They has taken his phone," she said after she returned my phone.  "We must leave.  I think I know where Kizzie might have kept Danny," she said as she began to pull my wrist.

"I can't," I said.

"What do you mean you can't?"

"There are guys waiting for me outside, somewhere," I said, my voice sounded shaky even to my own ears.  "Derek's friends."

There was a brief moment of silence until we heard voices down the hall.

"Are you sure she's still here?" guy's voice number 1 said.  And he sounded big.

"That's what Derek said," voice number two said, he sounded a bit smaller than the first one.

"Where is she?" says another voice.

What the-- How many are they?!

"Are you sure she's still here?" a fourth voice said.  "This place is dark as forest."

"Easy boys," voice number 2 said.  "She's just one, we're seven."

Thanks.  Question answered.

"Let's spread out," voice number 5 commanded.

"Follow me," Principal Dunst whispered.  I could make out her eyes looking wary even in the dark.

Obediently, I obeyed her.

The footsteps weren't getting nowhere far from us, it seems to...follow us.  Two pairs of footsteps, heading to our direction.

I followed Principal Dunst inside her office.  She shoved me inside a metal cabinet, locking me inside.

The two guys came in.  I have managed to peek through the gap between the doors of the cabinet. Principal Dunst raised her head from her table, pretending to be busy with her paperworks.

"Hello, boys," she greeted coolly.  "Shouldn't you be home?"

"Uhm..." one of them stammered.

"Is there a problem?"

"We were just looking for his girl friend," the other one answered.  "Her parents are worried sick about her and we're looking for her."

Lie expert, huh.

"Her parents have gone to the park," the first one answered.  "I always take her there."

"Except that...they had a big fight so she went away," his friend said.

Ew.  I'd rather go suicide than be his boy friend.

"I haven't seen a young lady around," Principal Dunst denied coolly.

My "boy friend" nodded apologetically.  "Thank you, ma'am.  And sorry for the disturbance."

"It's alright.  I do hope you find your girl soon."

They both nodded sheepishly before leaving the room.  I waited until Principal Dunst moved from her spot and opened the cabinet.

"Quick!" she whispered.  "You must escape to the back."

"I--I don't know where the back is."

"Straight.  Left.  Football field.  Run."

I nodded, then furiously wiped my tears from my cheeks with the back of my hand.  I ran to the direction she taught me.  I raced to the door that leads to the football field, bare foot, shoes in my hand.  My heart was beating faster, not in anxiety, but of relief that I'm close to escaping this hell hole.

Until a ran into a wall.

It wasn't a wall.

It was a man's chest.

My butt began to ache two seconds after I hit the ground due to the impact.  I looked up and could barely make out the dark silhouette standing in front of me.

"Found her!" he yelled.  And in the darkness, I could hear the smile in his voice.