Chapter 5

It was a Saturday morning and I feel dead anxious when I read Cheska's text: "Btw, the conference will be tomorrow night"

That's it.

I'm toasted.

I haven't taken the dress out of the box yet. And yes, don't worry, I am also excited just as you are to know what the dress looks like.

Now, lets hit the fast forward button 'cause I didn't do much today besides have a make-up session with Cheska for tomorrow night. There was no sign of Danny inside the mansion. He was out for practice in the upcoming seasonal game the day he comes back from Bellwood.

I plopped myself to my loving bed, lying beside the box Danny has probably left when he entered my room last night before joining me on the roof.

My hands rested above the note over my heart. I unfolded it once more and read it for the twentieth time today but I've memorized it anyway:

"I don't know what's ought to happen tomorrow night...but one way or another, whether my father would like you or not, to me, you're the perfect girlfriend for any guy--minus the paycheck."

I closed it again and placed it over my chest.

"You look happy."

I sighed.

"Mom, do you know the feeling that you get when a guy makes you feel like you're on top of the world and you're free to scream and no one would hear, just the two of you sharing that loud secret?"

She smiled as she sat on the edge of my bed. "But if you're on the top of the mountain, someone would surely pull you down."

"But that feeling when you know he's going to go down with you no matter what happens? Do you know that?" I felt exhilarated.

She chuckled and placed a hand on my leg. "Go and rest. Helga told me that you'll be having a long night tomorrow."

"Good night, Mom," I sighed dreamily for the last time.

She leaned in to kiss my forehead. "Good night, Deary."