Chapter 10 - who's to blame?

Apologies for any spelling or grammar mistakes.
——————————————
Taking a step closer, I walked around the dead griever looking to see if there was any sign of a clue maybe a code or name or location of some sort.
Till I heard the sound of beeping.

"Shhhhh...do you hear that...that beeping?" I asked.

Minho steps forward towards the dead griever to place his hand in but before he could...the griever was sliding away from us being pulled by a rope, seconds later it was gone...I ran after it, ignoring everyone's screams.

I couldn't let this griever get away like the last one. My forehead was dripping with sweat as I ran as fast as I could not taking my eye off the griever, All I could feel was a hot burning sensation in my lungs spreading across my body, the feeling when you're running as hard as you can, that's what I was doing...the footsteps of my feet echoing so much that i couldn't tell if I was even getting close. The griever was being pulled by the rope I stretched my arms out hoping to grab whatever was beeping inside of it... a door thunders shut just before trapping my toes, i took a deep breath realising I lost the griever...I started smashing my fists against the concrete door begging that it would open out of my anger.

I walked away back to the boys with blood dripping from my fists.

"Jesus Christ Hazel your fast" Minho says in shock.

"What happened to your hands...let me clean that up for you in the treehouse" Newt exclaims.

Newts POV

We walked back to the glade, and before anyone could talk I grabbed Hazel Grace to make sure I was the one to help and not the medjacks not anyone else just me, may seem selfish but I needed to make sure she was alright, I walked her out to the treehouse. I got a mug and filled it with a alcohol and i grabbed a small cloth. I sat her down on the bed and took the cotton pads and dipped them into the alcohol to clean her knuckles which made her flinch from the alcohol touching her flesh making her grab my hand.

"Umm...Sorry" she sighed with slight tears in her eyes.

"Don't say sorry" I answered carefully wiping away the blood from her knuckles then wrapping them in bandages. I stopped. I put my fingers under her chin to pull her face up gently to make her eyes meet mine.

"What's wrong love" I asked looking deep into her eyes.

"I let everyone down, I let you down...I thought this was going to be it, maybe find a clue to get out of the maze but I didn't even get a chance to look, I let you down I'm sorry, I'm so sorry Newt" she exclaimed looking away at the floor.

I ferociously smashed my lips onto hers and slowly pulled back making our foreheads touch "don't you dare say sorry okay, it's no fault so stop blaming yourself...okay?"

"Okay" she mumbled under her breath.

I kissed her on the head grabbing her arms to pull her up to lead her to lunch as we missed breakfast.

We walked towards everyone and instead of Hazel Grace shouting hello or giving anyone a hug she walked away from where Minho, Chuck, frypan and I were sitting to sit on her own.
All the boys noticed straight away and all of them came to me and asked why, I explained to them that she blames herself for losing the dead griever before she could look for any clues.

Hazel Grace got up and went for a walk, Gally stood straight up and followed her.

Hazel Grace's POV.

I started pacing around in circles overthinking the situation to see if I could have done anything differently.

"Hazel lay down on the grass right now" Gally exclaimed in a very harsh tone which startled me.

He laid down on the grass.
I slowly did the same next to Gally with my hands covering my stomach.

"Don't you dare blame yourself, it's not your fault" Gally exclaimed while looking up at the clouds.

"But it is I shot the griever, I let it get away, I didn't ask for help." I said while running my hands through my hair.

Gally turns on his side to look me straight in the eye "stop, now forget about it...your stronger then that to let this take over you, there's nothing anyone could have done. now I need my little sister back to tell me how bad I am at building...okay?" He says grabbing my arms pulling me up to my feet.

"now smile...SMILE...good." He took my hand in his and skipped like literally skipped back to the boys making me chuckle. He made me sit down where I was on my own but he sat next to me letting me rest my head on his shoulder.

"What would I do without you" I say In a sincere tone of voice.

"You'd die" he exclaims making me burst out laughing making him laugh too.

"Oh by the way newt is moving in with me and we need stairs as he hates climbing up the tree so...could you build stairs for us...pretty please" I pleaded looking him straight in the eye with my hands together making a begging motion.

"Oh alright then, but just this once" he said getting up to go check out the treehouse with his tape measurer.

Newt, Alby, and Minho came running over asking what happened, and I just said he's making me and Newt stairs, and didn't tell them about how he reassured me as that was something private that I wanted to keep just between me and Gally.

The boys looked shocked starring at Newt and I.

"Wait so your moving in?" Alby asked while scratching the back of his neck.

"Is that okay" Newt asked with concern.

"Oh yeah of course, I just didn't realise this was serious...serious, well congratulations guys" he exclaimed.

"Well you know what, I'm going to move my stuff into the treehouse" newt said in a jolly tone walking to the hammocks picking up his stuff.

"I'm going to go hang out with Chuck today, just me and him, see you later boysss" I answered in a sassy tone of voice running towards Chuck.

Dinner time

"Guess what love birds" Gally exclaimed.

"Youuuuuuu...turned into a chimpanzee and made out with Winston to turn back into a human again while making lasagna" I answered using my hands like the stereotypical Italian does.

"Err no...your stairs to the treehouse are complete" he mumbled.

"Yay...Newt let's go see" I said grabbing his arm to lead him to the treehouse.

Gally's POV.

"Gosh those two really are in love aren't they?" I exclaimed to the rest of the gladers.

"Yep, definitely love" Alby answered.

"How come Newt gets her...we need more girls" Winston mumbled under his breath.

"Do we change any rules for them or carry on as normal with a serious couple in the glade, now that we made the rule of no one touches Hazel Grace after the two builders tried to rape her and then stab her...thank god those two were banished." I said while running my finger through my hair.

"Maybe we should wait and talk to them both...we could change the rules to whoever she gives permission too or only Newt...whatever they're comfortable with. I'll talk with them tomorrow" Alby answers.

"But what's going on between Hazel and Chuck like they are becoming really close...and Newt actually...like a family of some sort" Minho asks in a concerned tone of voice.

"Nooooo...a family?... cant be...not Newt his not the family type" frypan exclaims subtly laughing under his breath.

"See I think your wrong" I answered in a sincere tone of voice starring at the treehouse.

—————————————————————
the boys are getting ideas...A family?
Gally and Hazel Grace - acting like siblings...what will the others think?
Rules? Banishing? Permission to touch! When did this all happen?
Alby going to talk with Hazel Grace and Newt about intimacy...awkward?

Find out in the next chapter of hidden in plain sight.

Thanks for reading!!!