Chapter Four: Her Seventeenth Birthday

Marinette's POV

"Why did I tell him that Alya!" I groaned against the stall of the girl's bathroom. 

I felt sick and the guilt was just eating me up inside.

"Because he was being a douchebag."  Alya replied before adding a new layer of lip gloss on her lips.

"I know it's just that- I should have never said anything offensive like that to him.  He just, he really touched a nerve- that's no excuse but-"

I sank down against the wall by the paper towels, Alya joining me.

"You shouldn't be this sad when your seventeenth birthday is tomorrow girl!"

I nodded.

"But-"

Alya raised her eyebrow at me.

"What if what Luka said is true.  I-I never thought about it before but it scares me knowing that Adrien isn't my soulmate.  I don't w-want anyone else in my life other than-"

I felt a tear slip down my cheek no matter how hard I tried to suppress it.

"Girl you and Adrien are practically made for each other don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  A soulmate mark isn't the same thing as love, okay? Besides why do you care so much about what Liam said?"

"Luka." I corrected her. She shrugged.

Why did I care so much about what Luka said? He was- he was- just being his usual moody self. 

I sighed.  That didn't stop me from thinking about him and what I said throughout the day and all through the night.

Not that morning though.

R

I

    N

      G!

I woke up that morning with a jolt. I felt a smile appear on my face.

I was officially seventeen! Seventeen! Seventeen!

I got out of bed letting a giggle escape my lips. 

I tugged on my pigtails before letting my raven hair out and messing with it a bit.

My hair dangled perfectly right above my collar bone as I rubbed the lucky locket Adrien had given me. Just like I had done every morning since I was fifteen.

What to wear...What to wear...What. To. Wear...

I wore a dress yesterday, so a dress today? Or maybe something else.  No... I only get one seventeenth birthday. How about I just... wear a romper?!

Ugh!

I finally settled on a ladybug themed ensemble.   I know silly right?

Don't judge! When I was little they used to be my favorite animal and I was feeling nothing but nostalgia crackling in the air.

I wore a knee high red dress with black spots scattered all over it.  And decided to wear a ladybug hair comb from when I was little, in my hair.

After Luka, my last hope for music, bailed, I decided to shrink down the party size.  Also, I'd rather not invite Lila, the girl who's been flirting with Adrien since the fourth grade. 

Adrien.  I smiled looking at my wrist.  I couldn't wait to get my first string from him.

I knew that "my string" wouldn't show up until July though.  The strings only connected when you and your soulmate both turned seventeen.  Adrien's seventeenth birthday was in July. 

Meaning I would only get my first string and mark from him on his birthday.

I sighed feeling content. 

I don't know... I just felt like this was going to be a new beginning.  It was like a restart and I loved it.

...

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR MARINETTE- HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!"

I laughed as my cake came out.  I looked at Adrien from behind me and gave him a peck on the cheek.  He responded by kissing me on the nose. We both laughed.

"Happy birthday, Mari-" he said as he snuggled into my shoulder.

"Aww you guys are so cute!" Alya teased, filming us on her phone.

My parents planted the two layer cake in front of me.  Red and black to match my dress.

And- the most important thing, a freshly packaged sharpie laid next to the cake.

You see on everyone's seventeenth birthday they get a new sharpie to make their first mark to their soulmate.  I smiled, taking it from them.  It was a tradition, even if your soulmate wasn't old enough to see it. 

I looked at Adrien and he nodded.  I felt bad, especially after our conversation yesterday, I needed him to know that I loved him even without his "string" yet.

I snuggled into Adrien's buried head.  "I can't wait for you to get your string." I whispered.

"Me too bugaboo, now..." He gestured to the pen.  I smiled and bit my lip as I uncapped it.

Slowly I punctured my skin with the black ink.  It was so smooth.  I felt myself break into a smile as the room broke into cheers.  Having my birthday at the bakery was amazing. 

I created a tiny heart outline.

It looked a bit like this: ♡︎

I smiled capping my pen, thinking that everything was perfect for the rest of the night, but sadly it was far from that. Little did I know that, a tiny heart had appeared on someone's wrist, only a couple blocks away.