Chapter Three: His Invitation

Luka's POV

And just like that school was back in session.  Our school is just like every other school.  Preaching to care about mental health and then giving us excessive homework, caring more about a girl's bra showing than a lesson.  You know normal school shit.

Unlike most of my friends, Nathaniel, Aliks, Juleka, Rose, Mylene, and Ivan, I had decided to keep my same electives.  Chemistry was next. I walked inside to see a raven head girl with gorgeous bluebell eyes. 

I had nothing against Marinette, she was just like every other stereotypical popular girl.  Destined for nothing more than being the "most likely to be famous" in the yearbook.  I didn't really see anything special about her. 

I should've known that there was more than meets the eye about her. 

I was about to pass her when she waved at me.  Gesturing for me to sit.  Shit. Why. Why. Why. WHY ME!

WHY ME- I rolled my eyes before sighing and taking the seat next to her.  I saw her smile falter a bit and I felt a pain of guilt. I don't know why.  Like I said I barely knew her.  Probably just human decency. 

I guess she obviously knew I didn't want to be sitting next to her.

The lesson passed into independent work, as we sat there in the awkward company of each other.  I saw Marinette shift uncomfortably in her chair from our past interaction. 

I don't know why this bothered me so much. I mean- I started to clench onto my pencil.  Why did I care so much about her?

"Look-" I started, "I'm sorry I was a bit of a-"

"-Douchebag, asshole, jerk..." Marinette trailed off, "You take your pick."

I laughed.  Who knew she had a sense of humour?

"Yeah something like that..."

Her serious expression broke into a giggle.

"Hey, do you wanna come to my birthday party tomorrow?"

I froze. What was happening. Why would she want me to come to her party? We had only worked on a chemistry project together.  I didn't think that constituted for being invited to celebrate her birthday. Especially one as significant as someone's seventeenth birthday.

I obviously gave a confused look and she explained.

"Well... I mean you play the guitar and I need someone to play if you wanted to-"

Oh. So that was it.  She wasn't being nice, she just wanted something out of me.  I sighed before looking at her directly.  It made sense.  Why would someone like me be anything to a girl like that?

"Is that all?" I said monotonously.

Marinette's face lit up with the realisation of how the situation went down.  Clearly not in her favour.

"Oh! No, no, no! Not like that! I-I mean you could stay if you like! I just know you're a r-really good guitarist and- seventeen is a big day-"

I hated to admit it-but for some reason I felt a little bit hurt. I felt a little angry.

"Mhm." I said rolling my eyes as I shifted away from her a bit.

"Luka I didn't mean it like that-"

"I just- I mean it's- it's a big deal with the whole soulmate thing like that- and Adrien-"

"Yeah, yeah, Adrien is supposedly your soulmate we've been over this." I snapped.

I hastily glanced over at our teacher, she was asleep, thank god.  That could have got me at least some detention for my attitude.

This is when let's just say Marinette and my relationship- wasn't the best or at its finest. I'm not proud of what happened next and neither was she.

"Supposedly?!" Marinette said her tone changed to defensive, "what's that supposed to mean!"

"Just because he's your boyfriend doesn't mean he's your soulmate.  How are you so sure?! What happens if he's not! What happens if the two destined high school sweethearts aren't that much different from the rest of us! And from what I saw today in the hallway you guys weren't exactly..." I stopped talking from the burning holes of her eyes. The death glare she was giving me- Scary.

I definitely hit a nerve.

"I-" Marinette started off.  The doubts and thoughts I had planted in her head had started to sink in.  She bit her lip, "Well, I-I don't see you doing anything about your soulmate!"

People in class were starting to stare at us.

I rolled my eyes.

"Why would I care about that shit?"

"It makes sense you wouldn't," she scoffed, "I mean you don't even try to make an effort- you don't care."

"That's right I don't."

"Just like your dad." She muttered under her breath.  The words jolted my heart.  I raised my head and looked at her with disbelief.

Her eyes were just as wide as mine.  I knew she didn't mean to say that, but she did.

Right as our eyes met, the bell rang.  And just like that she got her stuff and quickly left.  Still in shock, I scrambled to pick up my stuff and walked down the hall as far away from that psychopath as possible.