Chapter 95, Speed Race

Their chakra was right up ahead. My body was sweating from the pressure and adrenaline as I paced all the way alongside Hanabi. We were both restless and uneasy, which was conspicuous from our stern expressions.

When I peeked over at Hanabi, I saw the crimson in her eyes, which reflected mine as well. Her moths have disappeared, yet the butterflies are still around her.

The red that tainted the butterfly wings gave me chills. This Red Butterfly Technique is deadly. How did Ichiko Uchiha come up with such thing?

I can totally see why she was nicknamed the Red Butterfly. Not everyone can earn these titles like my father's team...

The silence that fell between us was unsettling. The two of us didn't even utter a word as we kept up the pace with the flow.

"Did you know that my father was on the same Genin team as your parents?", I attempted to break the ice.

"Yeah", she stiffly replied, making my stomach clench.

"Hanabi, you put Danzo in his place finally", I remarked, to which she breathed out heavily.

"I'm more curious about what Hiruzen plans to do with him now, I made sure that he survives. Death is an easy escape for that bastard. He killed my parents...", she growled the last part.

"Actually", I say, looking ahead of myself, "I proposed that his punishment should be the Uchiha's final say".

"So Hiruzen wasn't going to force any form of punishment on him if you didn't propose that?", she inquired in a tone of disappointment.

"N-not all, of course he would've punished Danzo for all that he's done, but Shikaku and I saw that it's better if the Uchiha decides his fate. After all, he did help rail up the hatred in the Uchiha with his racist mindset".

"Well then the Uchiha should find the perfect punishment, before I do", she remarked, making me release an exasperated breath.

"Well we can argue over that when we return back to the village", I scoffed, hoping to have made the atmosphere a little bit less tense. But her cemented resting face didn't budge. I took that as she was still so concentrated on the rescue mission, but her response to my remark was something that made my head snap in her direction in an instant.

"Who said that I'm coming back to the village?"

My muscles stiffened and my mouth parted ajar.

"Hanabi what do you mean?!", I bellowed in response as I halt in my tracks instinctively.

She halts as well and turns to me, a decent distance put between us.

"It's as you heard, Uchiha boy, I'm not coming back to the village".

"Stop it with the Uchiha Boy nonsense Hanabi", I inched closer, deliberately closing the distance between us, "I'm not a kid", I sternly say, looking directly into her eyes.

"You never were", she fired back, making my chest clench.

Something about that statement jabbed at my feelings, because it was absolutely true.

My Uchiha responsibilities came way before me...

"Where do you even plan to go?", I perilously step closer, closing more of the distance between us.

"That's none of your business", she narrows down her eyes as she sternly looks back into my crimson ones.

"There's still place for you in the Leaf, why do you want to throw everything away?!", I ask, holding down my breath from frustration.