Chapter 42, Departure From Home

Hanabi's P.O.V

"Lord Hokage", I declare as I enter his office with a heavy heart. It's been a while since my last mission and I kind of forgot how nerve racking each mission gets. I was tapping my foot on the floor without even knowing it.

"Hanabi", he simply said and placed his pipe aside, "as you know your mission includes investigating several hideouts which has been rumored to be inhabited by Orochimaru". He levels his face for better eye contact and observed me.

"You'll be accompanied with four members of the Anbu Black Ops", he informed.

"Where are they?", I question, looking around his office.

"Right here"

Abruptly, two masked Anbu members appeared on either side of the Hokage, the final count being four in total. I stared at them intently, their masks intact on their face and their Anbu tattoos on display.

"Hanabi Namikaze, we're tasked together to work as a team on this mission", one of them speaks, his voice deep and serious.

"Right..."

I held my breath as I stared between them, the atmosphere in here was growing dull.

"We've heard about your skills from your teachers at the Academy, you have potentially lived up to the expectations as the Fourth's disciple and we couldn't have been more honored", another says, rendering me nervous.

"Yeah...right..."

Lord Hokage sighed deeply, and grasped his pipe again. He then hands out a file to the masked Anbu member and says, "that file contains the information about Orochimaru's latest activity and habitats"

I guess I'm too much to handle...

"This is an official S-rank mission", Lord Third asserts then exhales.

"Understood"

"Also", Lord Third takes another drag from his pipe before inserting, "would you consider the Anbu offer again?".

My brows creased, and I suddenly shifted my weight on one leg.

"W-why ask that all of a sudden?", I held my breath after inquiring the question.

Lord Hokage tossed his pipe aside and laced his fingers together, with both of his elbows propped on his desk he said, "you see, we lost a team of Anbu from the split military faction that's under Lord Danzo".

The name Danzo puts me on alert every time.

Skeptical, I ask, "How?"

Lord Third eyes whatever was ahead of him and elaborates, "they were on an imperative S-rank mission and later on found deceased under mysterious circumstances. The culprit had slashed their throats almost perfectly, leaving no evidence for us to cling on".

I swallowed the lump in my throat.

Did he just call me a culprit?

"We're on shortage of Anbu Black Ops", he inserts.

"I-I understand, but my answer remains the same", stammered and fixed my eyes elsewhere. From my peripheral vision I saw him sigh in dissatisfaction.

"You're officially dismissed"

***

The four members of the Anbu had introduced themselves as the following:

Fox, Owl, Mongoose, and Pika.

At the gate of the Leaf village, we spotted Kotetsu and Izumo, who usually work at the gate of the village. The five of us give them the word that we're on a S-rank mission and they made sure to keep record of it.