Chapter 84, Hanabi's Resolve

"Tell me, Hanabi, what are you really scared of?", Madara asks as my soaked hair sticks to my shoulders and back. In response to his question, I simply keep my lips sealed.

I desperately tried to hide my trembling body. I was shivering cold even though we were inside the tower by now. I calmed down my racing heart and began to brood again.

Did the Leaf take any precautions regarding my message?

The Akatsuki will start to move soon in order to capture the Jinchuriki...

Frantic about the topic of catching Jinchuriki, I ask Madara, "When are we going to capture the Jinchurikis?", I bit on my lip nervously as the question left my lips.

I was breathing a little heavy.

"Well, since questions cancel out questions, I'll answer yours only if you answer mine", he says, making my breath race a bit.

This is not the time to be prideful Hanabi...I need to know when they plan to capture the Jinchuriki...but I'll also not tell him the truth...

"What I'm scared of?", I begin, then tip my head low, "I fear many things and nothing at the same time. But what my mind is occupied with now is to give the rest of the Hidden Leaf's higher-ups a taste of their own medicine. I fear that I'll not be able to do so".

Well, there's a slight hint of truth in that statement.

What I'm really scared of is that all this stigma will someday make me transcend insensibility and oblivion.

And I don't want to descend into madness, but what's the solution?

What fills the void left by others in ones heart?

"I see", he sighs, "so that's it then? You just want to inflict your pain on others?".

"Exactly", I state, but I'm unsure whether it's the truth or not.

Madara gives off a long sigh before answering my question, which makes me go stiff.

"Three years from now".

Internally, I was shaking and trembling at his words, externally, however, I'd maintained a decent character in front of him.

"Why?", I solidly ask, as I squirm at the feeling of my two eyeballs.

"No specific reason, Pain just wants to wait", Madara shrugged off.

He's lying.

My gut advised. Of course he is. He's a great deceiver and manipulator. He almost manipulated Itachi into commencing the Uchiha Massacre. I'll never forget that. With him, I should always pull up a strict guard.

Without even a second thought, I blurted, "you're lying, Madara".

"Of course I am", he scoffed humorlessly, "but the truth is, Hanabi, you are way too smart for your own good", he remarked.

Every thing he says gives me the creeps, time and again...

"Tell me Madara", I say, and try calming down my pacing heart, "what made you like this?".

Madara scoffs humorlessly and replied back, "shattered faith..."

I tip my head low for a moment and sigh, "Whatever happened...don't you think there's a better way of doing things other than ending this suffering by ending the world?".

"No", he replied monotonously, making me flinch.

My hand had then involuntarily reached to my soaked hair, then it slowly trailed higher and higher until I found my fingertips slipping under the tight bandage.