Chapter 1-Not For Long.

Nisa's POV

Before my life fell apart.

Today started like any other Monday Morning.

Professionals lined the inside of the Wiseman Marketing & Co building in Uptown, Charlotte, North Carolina.

I stepped off the elevator, passed the glass doors to my office, and my assistant Ashley greeted me.

"Mornin' Nisa, on your desk, I placed a folder with details for each meeting scheduled for today. I confirmed dinner reservations tonight at McNinch House for your fifth wedding anniversary. Oh, and happy anniversary!" She pleasantly smiles and waits until I get settled before carefully passing me a piping hot cup of caffeinated tea just the way I like it. I smile in response, accepting the cup and noting everything she said.

"Good Morning. Thank you, Ash!"

"Also, don't forget we have a meetin' in the executive conference room in about 15 mins. Mr. Wiseman said he had a big announcement,annnd" Ashley smirked. "Becky Summers has that tacky red lipstick on today. So you know it's on her teeth. When you see it, you owe me a dollar." She giggled.

Ashley Thompson is a 24-year-old leggy white woman with beautiful bright red hair down her back. Random fact, but she enjoys fried cheese like myself. She started as a fresh-faced college intern working in the mailroom of this building.

As I was reviewing applicants, my husband William saw her credentials and convinced me to select her. Soon Ashley and I formed a bond over the last two years. And once promoted to Operations Supervisor, I instantly offered her a higher-paying job as my assistant.

"Thanks again, Ash. Let me get settled, and I will meet you there in a few," I said, carefully taking a sip of my beverage before placing it on my desk. Ashley leaves, and I immediately go over emails.

As a black woman in the corporate world, it was tough getting my position. I followed the rules and worked my ass off. I stayed focused and even put some critical things on the back burner to ensure I succeeded. At the age of 30, I'm doing very well for myself. Without a doubt, I could not have achieved this without the support of my husband.

After catching up on a few emails I missed yesterday, I glanced at the clock." Shit, I have 3 minutes," I muttered. I locked my computer and rushed off to the conference room.

Unsurprisingly, I'm the last one walking into the ample space of about 60 upper-level employees. I noticed Ashley saved me a seat in the back next to her, and I slowly made my way to the empty leather chair.

After receiving a few awkward glances, I look down into my lap, settling into my seat. A sudden overwhelming feeling of someone staring at me takes over. I followed the sensation with my eyes connecting with the most beautiful pair of blue eyes I have ever seen.

My gaze traveled around the stranger's face. He has soft dark brown hair that is stylishly gelled back and a matching neatly-trimmed beard along his sharp jawline. My eyes droop to his plump, kissable lips. They look so soft that I want to bite them. So I nibble on my own, causing the man to smirk. Oh Shit!

Quickly I look down, utterly mortified. Pulling myself together, I ignored Mr. Handsome, now openly staring at me, and bounced my eyes around the room. As the feeling of his gaze reached unbearable levels within me, I mustered some courage raising my head back to make eye contact. I was blinded by a genuinely beautiful smile on his face.

My heart fluttered as the feeling of small butterflies tickled my insides.

A few thoughts rose to my mind's surface, but I shut down. Quickly glancing down, I bite my lip again, ashamed of my behavior. I'm a married woman. I am not supposed to ogle men and, even worse, a coworker openly. I look back at Ashley only to see her casually scrolling through Instagram on her phone.