chapter 13 | don't leave

"Get me.. out of here."

"Suna, you know that's not possible."

"Y-you.. don't understand."

"Suna this isn't the time-"

"YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND Y/N!"

As soon as Suna snapped, he immediately regretted it. Catching his breath had become an exhausting task to do now, and most importantly he couldn't face the fact that he just screamed at you.

He breathed heavily. "You need... to l-leave."

"I won't."

"Please," Suna pleaded, his voice cracking. "You... you wouldn't get anything from stay.. staying with me at this point anyway.."

But he was hoping. Deep inside he was hoping you wouldn't leave that easily.

Hoping that you wouldn't leave his side even after what happened a couple of nights ago. He knows he needs you more than anything else.

Suna had already been admitted to the hospital right after that incident. You and his friends did not risk any chance for that to happen again. Although these past days of being trapped inside the hospital walls Suna was getting impatient. But with his condition, it's not possible to grant his demands of leaving.

That's why you were surprised at his sudden outburst. He wasn't supposed to have that much energy, but his desperation to leave these cramped walls made him do that. Your heart cracked at the thought but you still don't understand a thing.

"I just said I won't, Suna." You said with a firm tone. Not accepting any more arguments from him.

Silence engulfed the both of you. You were sitting near the hospital bed where Suna was lying down. Observing the multiple tubes hanging around him and supporting him, tugged your chest and felt like your heart was being crumpled. The brown-haired boy lay there, his chest moving up and down in the most uncomfortable manner.

"Suna."

No response.

The scream earlier must have taken a lot of energy from him. He was just staring at you, his eyes even more tired than before.

"Don't leave me.."

That was all he managed in such a frail voice. Your eyes welled up with tears and you positioned yourself closer to him now. Your hands touched his hair, his soft brown hair.

"As I said, I won't."

Suna is now asleep, his eyebrows furrowed and chest rising up and down. His mouth and nose were covered by an inhaler to support his breathing. Your hand found its way back to Suna's hair, stroking it with such care.

This man right here was your pillar. You just met him not too long ago. Heck, it's not even been months yet but you're already too attached to him. It's so cliche.

But what's even more stupid is finding out that Suna is sick in just a span of dating for just a month. Destiny was cruel like that. Taking away the longing you had all throughout these years, then just easily replacing that longing with pain far worse than before.

You don't even know what to feel, or what to think because you don't understand anything. At all.

At this point, everything was just too sudden for you. Your head couldn't fathom everything that is happening, it's like you're just riding the wave of life. Unwillingly.

"Rintarou," you whispered while tears rolled down your cheeks. You didn't care anymore. You just wanted to cry.

"You are the best thing that ever stepped in my life. That bumping into you in the station was not a mere coincidence, I know now that was fate. I was lonely. Lonelier than I ever thought I was. I realized this that day you made me a playlist, and reality slapped me that I really had no one to talk to. Well, Bokuto was there but he'd done so much I don't want to bother him anymore." You chuckled quietly and held Suna's fragile hand.

"I couldn't be happier when you persisted to wait for me every Tuesday in the station, when you gave me a flower every time we saw each other, and when you asked my name. Our Tuesday rendezvous not too long ago is still embedded in my mind because it's still too recent to forget. But now you're here."

"I don't know Rin. I don't want to lose you. Not now, not ever. So please, be strong."

But that's not possible.

"Your persistent soul should be able to break through this."

That's not how this works.

"I-I.. I just want to understand, Rintarou. I just want to understand why did this happen so fast."

Tears just flowed out, not even bothering to be held back anymore. Your sobs echoed through the white room. But your eyes immediately shot back up when you felt a light squeeze on your hand.

"I'll tell you why.. why and y-you'll understand beca-" Suna whispered.

"'Cause you're one of a kind."