About the Rewrite (Again) [6/2/2021]

So I'm having second thoughts.

I don't know if I should remove Lhea from the picture entirely and instead make this a reader insert, or change her race instead. Why am I considering this, you ask?

It's because of the racial implications that could be considered problematic, if Lhea is written to be white-assuming. It's also furthered because Louis, a BIPOC, is in a position of servitude and I'm starting to wonder if that's a big no-no? Especially with Lhea around? I'm way too attached to Louis's character and I spent quite some time fleshing him out to the point that I don't feel like switching him and Donovan around (also their dynamics are already set and are quite important to the story).

If I remove Lhea from the narrative, it would be much more inclusive towards the readers in my opinion. Alternatively, I keep her name but change her race. Also, at the time of writing, Lhea was practically a self-insert version of 15yo me lmao. Don't ask me why, but eventhough I'm not white myself (SEA- Chinese), I have written A Lot of white-passing characters as that was what I was familiar with through books and stuff. I just think I should break out of writing white characters (or at least white-passing) and focus more on POCs as the protagonist.

I didn't mean for the writing process to suddenly have racial issues, but I just feel uncomfortable every time I write the dynamic between Lhea and Louis. This is why I have chosen to ask you readers for you advice and opinions.

Should I keep Lhea as she is, change her race (which would mean more research into certain cultures depending on the race) or just overhaul her character entirely and replace her with a blank slate aka a Reader Insert.

Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.