10- Dreams

"Let me get this straight. Your telling me that you ran off only to accidentally meet Viktor Krum, who found Jasper and you repaid the favour by braking your leg?" Max's voice drifted out of the kitchen.

"Hey! I didn't just decide to snap my leg in half you know. I told you, I tripped on a tree root or something." Mila was trying to explain what had happened to the family of Hufflepuffs.

"And you chose to talk about how you fall out of trees of all things?" Rox was fully recovered from fainting and was now at 100% judging capacity. She was the most squeamish and seeing a snapped leg pushed her over her limits.

"What else was I meant to say?!"
"I don't know but explaining how you injure yourself because of your obsession with creepy animals probably wasn't it."

Mimi rolled her eyes at her friend. Ma's wand was stuck in her face attempting to heal the cut on her cheek and was slowly getting closer and closer. Ma stopped trying to fix her up completely when Mimi leaned away for the third time.

Max came out of the kitchen carrying a tray of bacon butties the same time Charlie strolled out of the bathroom.

Charlie rolled Rox with her foot from her sprawled position on the floor over all the pillows. Mimi grabbed a butty and propped herself against the sofa, flicking Rox on the forehead when she chose Mila's lap as her new pillow.

Ma busied herself with finally making copies of the photo they had taken on the walk to the Portkey and Max gave up in general and laid face down after rolling herself up in a blanket like a burrito.

A soft silence was held for a glorious moment, allowing Mila's clouded head to empty of all thoughts.

For half a second she wasn't thinking about the cut on her cheek or the aching in her legs.
She wasn't worried about the new bruises covering her body or her encounter with Krum.
For that split second the threatening skull in the sky didn't even cross her mind.

Just then she was relaxed. She was in a tent with her friends after watching an amazing quidditch match.

But that wasn't all.
The moment was just that. A moment. They never lasted long enough and now her mind was filled again.

Jasper jumped up onto the sofa and curled up behind her head and started to, rather rudely, bat at her with his paws. Mila let out a yelp when his claws got stuck in her hair and swiftly removed him from behind her.

Grumbling about an 'ungrateful pussy' Mimi dropped him on Rox who let out a grown when Jasper collided with her stomach.

The girls stayed up late that night, trying to distract each other from the evenings menacing events.

After a long discussion about group tattoos which had mixed reactions, both Max and Rox were out cold. There sleeping forms would have looked peaceful if they weren't slumped over each other in ways that made one question how the human body even worked.

Charlie was close to falling asleep. Ma had rapped her up in a fluffy blanket and was softly humming to her wile delicately threading her fingers through her short hair.

Ma's green eyes met Mila's blue ones. Without a word Mimi scooted over and leaned against Ma's shoulder.

Mila took it all in. They were safe. Max's snores filled the room. Rox was basically doing yoga as she rolled into an even more astounding position. Charlie had her teddy bear that was practically falling to bits tucked under her chin. Ma had a soft smile on her lips as she watched Max pull the blanket off Rox and curl up under it. Jasper padded over and curled up in Mimi's lap. They were happy.

Soon everyone's eyes closed, breathing slowed and dreams were dreamt.

Wether Maxine's dreams were about a Irish girl with read hair, no one knows.

Or if Charlotte's were about a neglected Weasley boy with horn rimmed glasses.

Maybe Amber's were about a dragon trainer covered in burns.

Perhaps Camila was reliving her time with a famous quidditch player she met under a sea of stars.

You could guess, you might be wrong, about what Roxanne was seeing in her mind.
But Jasper was the only one to see as Rox pulled Max close to her chest. Jasper was the only one who witnessed the small smile that crossed her lips when Max's arms rapped around her and hugged her tighter.