Eight

Like the rainbow
after the rain
joy will reveal itself
after sorrow
~ Rupi Kaur

Like the rainbowafter the rainjoy will reveal itselfafter sorrow~ Rupi Kaur

T/W: Sensitive topic for some readers

The drive to the bar is actually really nice. Peaceful almost. Like I'm in anticipation for something to come. I'm excited and nervous wrapped up in a ball of terrified to be meeting new people. I may have played online with them a few times but actually seeing their faces is going to be really strange. It's human nature to want to label everything.

We call a chair a chair and a shirt a shirt because we have to be able to put a name to an object we see. People are the same way. You build up this little visual of these people based on their voices and start to identify them by these made up features. But in reality they look either completely different or very similar.

I know a lot of these people have Instagram's with their faces but I haven't had to chance to actually look into it, simply because it's not important to me. I have to admit that I sort of regret not doing so out of fear of accidentally assuming things about others. One of my biggest fears.

Instead of overthinking the situation, I decide to roll down the passenger side window and lay my head on the frame, so that the wind is blowing against my head. Hair flying back in the breeze. It's nice. Cool but nice.

My thoughts are no longer consuming me and I even find myself resting my eyes in that position. Rae is playing some really nice instrumental music and humming along to the melody beside me. Before I know it, we've arrived at the place.

For some reason I had assumed it would be a house party kind of situation but instead we're in the parking lot of a trendy little strip mall. Rae see's me eyeing it strangely as we both get out of the car.

"Trust me, you're gonna love this place the second we walk in."

I take her word for it and follow her down the block. We stop in front of this bar with a few people standing out front. The front of the place is a little porch with people sitting at tables, chatting about everything and nothing. I take Rae's hand and we enter the venue. The room is fairly small, the size of my favorite café probably.

To the right is a long bar full of young people also drinking and talking. To the left is a row of tables and booths with the most interesting painting sitting above each on the wall. My eyes look at each, making their way down to the back where I spot the most marvelous book shelf I've ever seen.

Made of old mahogany wood and full of all the classics. Even front this far back, I can see the array of Shakespeare and F. Scott Fitzgerald novels.