Five

I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart: I am, I am, I am.
~ Sylvia Plath

The Next Day ~

The Next Day ~

I've been sitting at my computer for the past 20 minutes, staring at the discord server I have yet to join. Although I'm not as stressed as I was the first time joining, I'm still nervous for some reason and I have no idea why. Rae sent the link in the chat and I know I have to snap out of this and start before everyone wonders where I am.

But I'm still frozen in place. The one thing I forget about discord is that it shows when you're online, and when I get a notification from a separate chat, I'm a little embarrassed.

Discord Messages

Corpse
Hey, you gonna join or are you afraid I'm gonna wreck you in this first game?
Sent 2:22 PM

June
Yeah, I'm just planning my attacks
so that I can destroy you
Sent 2:22 PM

Corpse
Oh are you now? Well get in here so we can start, dork
Sent 2:23 PM

Corpse calling me a dork brings my confidence back up and I feel prepared to jump into the server now. Everyone is here and also a few new people I've never met. Someone named Brooke is talking about a game called Rust, Jack is talking about the same thing, Sykunno is laughing at something, Rae isn't talking, Poki is laughing with Sykunno, and someone named Toast is sending memes in the chat. Corpse is here too.

"Did everyone get the link I sent?" Rae asks the call. I click on it and it opens up Among Us. I join the game and see a few others pop into the ship as well. Corpse is standing in the corner with his black character wearing ram horns. Very him.

I change my character to orange and add a cowboy hat to my head. "Isn't there, like, pets and stuff you can use?" I ask everyone, browsing through the customizations.

Corpse responds first. "Yeah, you have to buy them. If you click that money symbol above your character, it'll take you to the store."

I thank him and spend the next few minutes scrolling through options but not buying anything yet. Everyone starts their streams as it hits 2:30 and everyone who's streaming mutes themselves to do their little intros. I notice that Corpse is the only other person not muted. "No streaming today?" I ask him.

"Nah, wasn't in the mood." He says nonchalantly. I know that they make their income from streaming and posting YouTube videos but I never understood the logistics of it. I could never commit to that kind of lifestyle completely because I'd be too scared of it falling through and then having no back up plan after that.