Chapter 22

Even when I'm physically alone, my friends will always be there for me.
I had nothing to worry about.

     After getting dressed (doing some light makeup, throwing on a graphic tee and some ripped jeans, as well as putting my hair up into a messy ponytail), I sneak across the hallway to my brother's room, knocking lightly on the door, my skateboard in hand. Not wanting to alert my dad and Miss Claire who were, from the sounds of it, watching a movie downstairs.

     He opens the door, his skateboard in hand. "Ready to go?"

     I nod. "I don't want Dad to see me going out though. I don't want to talk to him right now."

     Jordan gives me a knowing nod, "I'll go first and open the door. You just stay out of his view and I'll tell you when to go out."

     I give him a soft smile and step back so he can walk out of his room. He proceeds to do this, closing his door behind him and walking downstairs. He makes his footsteps heavier so mine aren't easily heard.

     "J?" Our dad calls from the living room.

     I hold my breath and quickly duck to where I'm not visible behind the stair railing. I feel my heart race quicken. 'It's not gonna work. I'm gonna have to talk to him even though I'm not ready for it.'

     "Yeah, Dad?"

      "Whatcha doin?"

     "I was just gonna go out for a little while to skate and stuff."

      I watch as he converses with my dad, as with the way he was acting, Dad was looking straight at him.

     I close my eyes for a moment, clutching my hand over my mouth, trying to keep myself from panicking. I was practically sneaking out and I had never had to do this before.

     "Is your sister going with you today like you two had discussed?" Dad questions him.

     Jordan glances over my head, up the stairs, where my bedroom door is. "Nah, she isn't feeling up to it. I just checked on her and she was asleep."

     "Oh," Dad says, his voice sounding somehow hurt from what was said, "well, have fun. Stay safe please. Text me if you need anything."

     I watch as my older brother walks over to the door, unlocks it and opens it, glancing at our Dad and I'm assuming Miss Claire. His demeanor relaxes and he quickly ushers me to quickly follow him.

     I quickly and quietly finish going down the stairs and bound out of the door, releasing the breath I had been holding in.

     Jordan ruffles my hair. "You owe me loser. You know I don't like lying to Dad."

     "You were a fucking natural at it though."

     "Well, I don't like lying for YOU. You're supposed to be the good child."

     I laugh at him as he unlocks his truck and opens my door for me, going around to the drivers side afterwards.

     I get in and close the door at the same time as him. "What's our first stop?"

     "Skatepark, obviously."