Chapter 14

PETER AND NICK HADN'T TALKED  much since they got back, tension brewing between them

About a week afterwards, Nick knocked on Peters door.

After a pep talk from Susan, she knew she had to talk to him. When he didn't answer, she assumed it was okay so she walked into his shared room with Edmund.

Peter was standing at the wall, staring into a mirror as he ran a hand over his non-existent beard.

"Peter," she whispered and he turned around, a frown on his face.

"Hey Nicki," he said, flashing a half hearted smile at her.

He turned back to the mirror and stared at a subtle scar that was on his jaw. Nick stood behind him, both of them the same height again.

They both stared at each other through the mirror before Nick put her arms over his shoulders, feeling him tense up  against her before he reached up, holding her hands.

"Why have you been avoiding me?" Nick asked, turning him around, her arms still drapes over his shoulders.

He sighed, looking at her, studying her face.

"A week ago, I was king. I ruled a land and you were my queen, we were engaged a week ago," he said and Nick sighed, understanding how he felt. She felt young, useless, she felt unattractive again.

"But you've also been avoiding me," he said and Nick sighed.

"I'm scared. That you won't love me anymore, that I'll lose all respect I have with everyone." She whispered and Peter smiled at her, placing a hand on her cheek.

"Don't. I still think that you're my stunning, wonderful, brave, peaceful, fiancé, and coming back here hasn't changed how much I love you," he said and Nick smiled at him.

"And I still love you too, even though you don't have that sexy beard anymore, I dont think I've loved you more than I do right now," she said and they kissed, his hand moving down to her lower back, pressing her against him again like they were back in Narnia.

Mrs Macready heard something in the other room and opened the door, not thinking anyone was in as all the other were on a walk outside.

"Dominique," she exclaimed and Nick pulled her lips away from Peters as they both stared at Mrs Macready, panic flushing over their faces and gasps escaping their swollen lips.

"We are having a talk with your grandfather," she said, glaring at Peter before walking out.

The two stared at each other before they heard Mrs Macready call out their names.

They walked out, hand in hand as they approached the door, Mrs Macready standing with her arms folded across her chest. Nick was like her daughter and she couldn't let anything happen to her.