Chapter 5

THEY WALKED FOR WHAT FELT LIKE   days before they made it to the edge of some kind of cliff

THEY WALKED FOR WHAT FELT LIKE   days before they made it to the edge of some kind of cliff. Mr Beaver pointed to a little stone monument on a cliff far away and Nick sighed at the idea of walking that far.

"Now Aslans camp is near the Stone Table, just across the frozen river," Mr Beaver explained and Peter shook his head, looking down at him and questioning why they were crossing the river.

"The rivers been frozen solid for a hundred years," Mrs beaver explained and Nick shook her head.

"It's so far," she said and Mrs Beaver shook her head.

"Its the world, dear, did you expect it to be small?" She asked and Nick shook her head, staring out into the distance.

"Smaller," Peter said, looking at Nick as she stared at the stone table.

They walked across the lake for hours and they were nearly across when Mr Beaver turned to look at them.

"Come on Humans, while we're still young," he said and Nick shook her head in annoyance.

"If he tells us to hurry up one more time, I'm gonna turn him into a big, fluffy hat," Peter said, helping Lucy onto his back as Nick chuckled.

"He is getting a little bossy," Lucy said as Mr Beaver yelled at them to hurry up.

"No, behind you. Its her!" Mrs Beaver exclaimed and Peter let Lucy down, holding onto her hand as they ran thay last stretch across the lake.

The bells jingles in the background as they ran off the lake and onto the snow.

Mr Beaver helped them into a cave, all of them cramped together as they heard the bells stop. Footsteps approached and they all went deadly silent, a shadow emerging on the cliff as Peter held Lucy close.

The figure went away and Mr Beaver went to look.

"Maybe she's gone," Lucy said and Peter started to sit up.

"Perhaps I'll go look," he said and Mr Beaver stopped him.

"No! You're worth nothing to Narnia dead," he said, starting to walk away.

"Neither are you Beaver," Mrs Beaver pleaded and he smiled at her.

"Thanks sweetheart," he said.

Everyone held their breath as Mr Beaver walked up, wondering what would happen to him.

"I hope you've all been good, cause there's someone here to see you," Mr Beaver said, ducking his head down with a smile on his face.

The four cautiously walked out, Nick staring in shock at Father Christmas as he stood by his sleigh. He smiled at them, laughing as they approached.

"Merry Christmas sir," Lucy said, smiling like a kid on, well, Christmas.

"It certainly is Lucy, since you have arrived," he said and Nick shook her head in disbelief.