Eight

"So you're going to teach me to be intact with every emotion I have?"

"Exactly, not just the bad, but the good, the joy and strength," he said. I looked deeper into the stream.

"I want you to undress yourself and get in the warm spring," he said. He wanted me to get naked? But that was not appropriate.

"I will not look, just let me know when you are finished," he said turning around. I started to undress myself and laid my shorts and shirt folded on the ground. I placed my bra and panties on top. I took my shoes and put them on top of those. I then walked into the stream. It was so warm. I got deeper and deeper until my breasts were covered.

"Okay now what," I said. He turned around.

"Now, you will learn to trust first, by doing so I'm also going to get undressed but not fully," he said. He began taking his shirt and pants off. He was down to his boxers. He joined me in the springs.

"Now, close your eyes," he said. I nodded. I closed my eyes and waited for my directions. Being this close, and being fully undressed, something felt off. I couldn't explain it, but Ashton would never ask me to get naked. This was odd. If he wanted to teach me, why not test me? Not being naked?

"Now, I'm going to say something and I want you to tell me what comes to mind." He said. I nodded.

"Cold."

"Vampire." That was literally the first thing I thought of.

"Power."

"Witch." I said.

"Love."

"Angels."

"Loyalty."

"Wolves."

"Sneaky."

"Demons."

He stopped. I could feel him closer but not on me. Maybe a foot from me.

"Alone."

"Phoenix."

Wait? Did I just say my name? Why did I think of that when he asked that? What was that about? Did that mean I was the problem?

"Wait, what does that-"

"Open your eyes."

I opened my eyes and Ashton was standing in front of me. He was grinning. But for what reason? What was that about? Did I pass the test? I was so confused.

"Phoenix, I want to do another test, deeper, more difficult, same test, but this time, I am going to say a phrase or say something with sentences and you tell me what you think."

I nodded. This would be interesting. But I still didn't get this test.

"I will rise." He began. And I too had an answer.

"From the ashes." Wait??!?!?

"Burning flames."

"Love triangle." Oh my goodness!

"When one person fails."

"Hunter." Now this was getting weird. It's like what I'm feeling is coming out of my mouth.

"The soul is."

"Burning up."

"We talk."

"Secrets."

"STOP." I yelled. I get it now. This was it. I think I knew what was going on. This was a test but not for me. I didn't know how, but Ashton was not Ashton. This test wasn't about me, it was about my feelings for Hunter and Artemis!! I opened my eyes.

"You passed the test," he said. What?

"Who are you," I asked. He grinned and turned around. He began to walk out of the spring. This person or creature was taking form of Ashton. But who was this? It wasn't anyone I'd known before. I couldn't get a scent on it. It was almost as if it weren't even alive. But it was taking a form I knew. It seemed to want information about my feelings. And it knew Lucy and my friends.

Whatever it was, disappeared. And I was in the spring alone. How did it grab my hand? How was it able to undress and make the water move? For a time I forgot about my friends. Was that it's plan? Make me leave them, get me alone and do what? Test me, and horribly? Make me think I'm the problem? But it told me I wasn't. It told me as Ashton it would die for me. What was going on?

I got out and dressed quickly. As soon as I had my clothes and shoes on I ran. I ran until I got back to the beach. No one was there, they must have been sleeping because it was dark. I had been with that thing all day. What did I get myself Into? What could I say? If I seen the real Ashton, would I trust him? Was that it? He didn't want me trusting my friends? But the more I thought about it the more I thought maybe I conjured it! Maybe my subconscious did this with my power. And I was testing myself. It could happen.

"Phoenix?" I heard. I looked around to see Hunter. I was scared and I didn't know what to do. What if he was fake?

"Wh-who are you," I asked. He looked at me confused.

"What, I'm Hunter, Phoenix don't you recognize me?"

"Hunter?" I asked. He nodded.

"Yeah it's me," he said. But I couldn't be sure. I backed away. He looked at me confused.

"Phoenix are you okay?" He asked. He sounded like my Hunter. But after the fake Ashton, I couldn't be sure.

"LUCY, LUCY PLEASE HELP," I yelled. Hunter started getting a worried look on his face and began backing away. A few seconds and Lucy tan out of our shack. She came quickly to me. She wrapped me in a hug. She looked at Hunter and glared.

"What did you do to her," she asked. Artemis then came rushing out of the woods.

"Nothing, I swear, she's in shock, I don't know what's wrong she acted like she didn't know me," Hunter said. He was real. This was Hunter. I could smell him.

"Hunter?" I asked letting go of Lucy. He came closer and nodded.

"Hunter it's you!" I said as I hugged him. He hugged me back.

"Are you okay, you were really scared," he asked. I nodded. By then the whole group had joined us outside.

"I just. I think I saw, I'm not sure what I saw, I thought it was Ashton but, then I knew it wasn't and it made me take this test, and I just don't know." I cried into hunters chest. Artemis, he came over to me. He grabbed me from Hunter. Hunter did not like that.

"What tests?"

"Word tests, made me get naked and get in the hot springs, Ashton- he- he said he wanted to open my emotions," I said. Ashton stepped up and joined Artemis. They looked at each other.

"What is it?" Hunter asked.

"I think I know what happened and what you were talking to," Ashton said. I watched him and Artemis.

"Share with the class Ashton," Lucy. Artemis sighed.

"It was a manifestation of your inner emotions."