An Escape

I rush to the door as Aya yells something. She throws me the car keys and I catch them in the air. "I heard it too. We'll meet you downstairs in a bit." I nod and exit the room, rushing down the stairs. As I open the door to the outside, I press the alarm button on the keys and the alarm sound activates. The car stops from backing up and I get hopeful. I put my sunglasses on and walk to the car. I take out my gun and point it to the window.

"Lower it, now!" I yell. They do as I say as the window opens. Inside is a woman who is wearing a nurses outfit. She puts her hands up and starts trembling.

"Please don't kill me!" I gulp and lower my gun. She trembles a bit less. I show her that I put my gun away in my pocket. She sighs and puts her hands down.

"I'm not here to hurt you, promise. What you are doing, though, is stealing my friend's car." Her eyes go wide.

"Really? Holy shit, I'm so sorry! I was just headed to a place." I tilt my head to the side.

"And what place is that?" I hear the hospital doors open as Aya and Connie emerge. She's helping him by wrapping his arm around her shoulder. Suddenly, I hear something from the woman, so I turn my head. She pulls out a pistol of her own and points it at me. I don't move as I look at Aya.

"Aya, stop right there!" She stops, giving me a confused look. I look down at my gun and to the woman in the car to signal her that I have a gun pointed at me. She recognizes my signal and gives me a single nod.

"You're going to let me borrow this car so I can get going where I need to, alright sweetheart?" I cringe at the nickname, but I don't show it. I look at her up and down.

"I think you mean stealing, sweetheart." I smirk as her face gets red with anger.

"Don't play smart with me! I have a gun, I can kill you." I snort. This woman looks like she hasn't used a gun in her entire life! "What's so funny, bitch?" She moves her hand to support her other hand holding the gun.

"Nothing, but the fact that you don't know how to shoot a gun properly is kinda funny." Her face gets even more red as she pulls the hammer back to entice me.

"Don't try me, I will pull the trigger." I walk closer to her and the gun touches my chest.

"Do it, this world is shitty anyway." Her eyes widen as I see her tremble again. The gun shakes as I see sweat beam on her forehead. I look at Aya and put a thumbs up. "Listen, if the place you're going to is where all the secrets lie, I wanna come with you." She stops trembling and looks at me with a shocked expression. "I know you're scared, I'm scared shitless too! But I promise you that we don't want to harm you. All we really kill are those ugly bastards." She doesn't say anything as she glances at Aya and Connie, then back to me.

"How can I trust you?" I get a flashback from when I had a gun pointed to my head from Richard. I chuckle.

"You can't trust me, but you can hear me out: my friend over there found files of doctors and nurses that participated in the rebirth of this world, and all of them have the exact same address on the bottom of the files. I just happened to memorize it, so can you repeat it to me?" I see her gulp as she clears her throat.

"9186 Birchfield Gardens." Bingo. She must be one of the nurses that has her own file in those drawers.

"Lucky, that's the same address! How come you're still here? Maybe you didn't have a chance to escape before?" She doesn't answer my question. She's still erie of me, but I don't stop. "I'm not stopping you. You can go and save yourself, but let us tag along! We just want to be safe as--"

"NO! No, I..." Her breath is shaky as she gasps for air. "I need my inhaler." She grabs her inhaler and is about to put it in her mouth, but I snatch it away. She panics some more.

"That's not gonna work here. I didn't want to force you, but you're leaving me with no choice. Give me your gun and I'll trade you for the inhaler. How about it?" She gives the gun to me very quickly as I slowly give her the inhaler. She sucks the nozzle and starts to breathe normally again. She takes a deep breath and looks at me with angry eyes.

"Get in before I run all of you over."

+ +

She parks in front of the said address and at first it looks to be like a normal house. "Don't think I fooled you, the real madness is inside." She opens the door and exits. I quickly follow her so she doesn't pull anything. We make our way to the front door and the woman holds out a hand. "Don't make a sound." I gesture that I'm zipping my mouth closed as she rolls her eyes. She presses the doorbell twice before a voice comes from the other side.

"Confirmation number." She takes a paper from her pocket and reads it. It takes a few seconds before the voice speaks. "Is there anyone else with you?" She glances at me.

"No, sir. I am alone." A click of the door is heard as the voice wishes her a good stay. She opens the door and inside showcases a normal living room. I look around some more and find a normal kitchen and furniture lying around the house. "Follow me." She walks further ahead as we follow. She walks into a room that was located down the hall. The room is empty but only contains a single pin pad. She puts in the same numbers that she said to the voice and the wall opens. We all were shocked as the woman walks in. We follow her down the grey, depressing hallway.

"Say, I never got your name." The woman looks back at me. Eyeing me up and down, she turns her head back forward.

"Abby. I became a nurse seven years ago." My eyes widen a bit.

"Really? You look really young." She chuckles.

"I'm actually almost 30." I widen my eyes even more.

"30?! You're actually lying." Connie comments. I was about to smack him, but she laughed.

"You're so sweet!" The end of the hallway comes into view. "Oh, this is it." We all stop before the door. "Are you sure you guys wanna do this? What exactly is your plan?" She looks at us as I clear my throat.

"We... wanna stop this whole plan. A rebirth of society where the rich and powerful live and the rest die? It's not right." Her eyes widened.

"Are you serious? That was the reason for all this... destruction?"

"Well, yes, but I doubt that you would've--"

"My father died... because of some rich people that wanted to live?" She looked down and I see tears fall. "They lied to me... they lied to everyone." I put a hand on her shoulder and she flinched.

"Abby, we found this information from someone we knew. He worked for the government, and he wanted us to know that it wasn't the whole government's plan, but the Board Of Directors. He wanted to stop this whole thing, but he died in the process. That's why we need to stop this so people don't die anymore! Help us, Abby, please." She wipes the tears from her face.

"And what if we fail?" Aya surprisingly speaks.

"We won't. I know we won't." She gives us a hopeful smile. I turn to Abby once more and say one last thing.

"Let's save the fucking world."

+ +