Confess While The World Burns

He backs away a few centimeters. "What... what do you mean by that?" I look down and taking a deep breath, I look back at him.

"You know what I'm referring to. That night when I talked to Aya upstairs, she told me some things I failed to take into account. You really like to hang out and listen to me, don't you?" I lazily smile as his face turns red. He clears his throat.

"Well, I guess the secret's out. Is it a bad thing?" I laugh.

"Of course not, but I guess for most of my life, you having a crush on me is something I would have never guessed." My smile drops. "I'm sorry for that." He chuckles a bit.

"No need. You're kinda dense when it comes to shit like this." I punch his arm out of frustration. He laughs and I join. "But seriously, you don't have to give me an answer just yet. Once this shit hopefully ends, I'll be waiting right here like always." My eyes soften.

"Connie, this is crazy, but... I think I feel the same for your stupid ass." We both smile. "But like you said, until this is all over, we talk. Like, really talk." He smiles some more and before I could say anything, he places a kiss on my cheek. My face is on fire at this point.

"Sorry, I couldn't contain myself." That wasn't from Connie, but from Austin downstairs. All of a sudden, the sound of glass shattering fills the empty apartment. Connie and I look at each other and race back downstairs. We see Aya in the clutches of Austin as he holds the butcher's knife to her throat and his other hand dripping with blood. The motherfucker punched the tank!

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?!" He laughs.

"You, my lovely friends, fell for my trap." My eyebrows stitch together. "You really just let anyone into your little party, huh stupid bitch? This was so easy! You guys are the most gullible people I've ever encountered!" As Connie tried to stop him, it was too late. He pushed Aya to us and used his same hand to slit the throat of the older man. As the wound bled, he spoke. "I've been spying on ya since the very first time we spoke to each other. That video I was filming? Fake... just to gather more information about the two of you. Then Aya joined, and I knew I was gonna have some more fun. Since Aya had a thing for ya, Indi, she would tell me your goals and objectives. It was pretty boring after a while, but I gathered a lot of juicy information! I had to speed up this act, so I planted the necklace on a random Hellborn. Watching you read that letter was like having ice cream on a hot, summer day: delicious and refreshing, knowing that I had gone through with the plan." His smile gets bigger as he raises his right pant leg to reveal a gun. He points the gun at us. "I could kill ya right here, right now, but a little goose chase sounds a lot more fun! You guys have 10 minutes before agents storm this place. Your time starts... now!"

We don't move. How could we when we were given so much to process?! I blink after what felt like eternity and grab Connie and Aya's arms. I don't question the bastard that is in front of me and decide to run. We rush out of the house and quickly put on our gear. As we enter the car, I catch a glimpse of Austin staring at us through the window, waving his ugly goodbyes. I look back down as Connie starts to drive. As the apartment looks farther away, I look at Aya through the mirror. She flinches and looks down.

"What the hell happened down there?" She looks at my eyes as I angrily stare at her. She shakes her head.

"He asked about what happened to my ma, and while I was explaining it, he had this weird look on his face. Before I realized what was happening, he smiled and told me that I didn't have to worry about anything anymore if I just joined him. I was confused and trusting my gut, I told him he was acting strange and that I wouldn't join him. His smile dropped and he grabbed me by my shirt. He put the butcher's knife at mt throat and screamed, 'Sorry,--'"

"'--I couldn't contain myself.' Fuck, I'm so stupid. He was right, he was fucking right all along."

"Indi--" I put my hand up and pointed at Connie.

"Don't." he shuts up as I close my eyes and lay my head back on the seat. 'You really just let anyone into your little party, huh stupid bitch?' I laugh at myself. I wanna punch something really bad right now.

+ +