Runaways With A Twist

Connie drives as far as he can. Aya and I look out the window into the empty street where trees line up. Connie suggested this secret base that he and Adam would go to when they were little. I didn't argue and let Connie take the lead. As he drives up into the forest, I see a few Hellborns wander the place. "That whole letter was a lie, wasn't it?" Connie sighs and exits the car. Aya and I do the same. All of a sudden, Connie gets his phone from his pocket and smashes it into the ground. "Connie, what--"

"Location. They might lose us for now if our location is cut off from our phones." He might be right. I grab my phone and smash it to the ground as well, adding a little kick to it, just to get my anger out. We look at Aya, and she shrugs.

"Don't have it. I left it at home." I glare at her. "Okay, okay." She gets her phone out of her back pocket and gives it to me. I smile and gladly take it as I place it on the ground and smash it with my foot. Sighing with relief, Connie leads us inside. Through the curtain, lights surround the walls with posters and plants. A mat lays on the floor and I get curious. I subconsciously lift the mat and see nothing.

"Connie laughs. "If you're looking for something, it's on the other side." I look to where Connie is and see him pointing at the mat. "It leads to a basement, and the good thing about it is that it's soundproof. Adam and I liked to sneak in there to have video game battles and for him to sneak weed and stuff like that. We can hide in here for now." We follow him as he puts in the same code as the safe where his mother's gun was. We enter and climb down stairs that are connected to the wall.

"Was this basement here when you found this place?" Aya asks. Connie closes the hatch door and climbs down the stairs.

"Actually, this place was built by a criminal in the 80s that just got out of jail. He used this place to grow weed. He died here when one of his gas tanks exploded. Police say it was a very gruesome sight." I cringe. Perfect mood for the situation we were currently in. "Thankfully, the place was all cleaned up and abandoned when Adam and I found the place. We had our dad renovate somethings, especially the basement. He added the key code, actually." His smile drops for a moment, but he shakes his head. "For now, let's stay in here."

"That sounds like a good plan. Though, we need to talk about what to do from here." All of us ponder. We can't really do much since we have the government up our asses. If only we could solve the issue. "Question: was the old man really the 'life source?' To me he looked like the first experiment for whatever the hell is happening right now." Connie puts his thumb on his lower lip.

"Maybe. Nothing happened when Austin slit his throat, so maybe it goes deeper. The government is hiding something bigger for sure."

"Y'know, maybe being caught might not be the worst decision." We look at Aya with confusion. "Well, we might learn something from them if one of us were to get caught." Aya and I look at Connie.

"Hell no." I sigh.

"C'mon! She might be onto something here. If anything, we will for sure save you."

"Yes, because I want to be the damsel in distress." Aya beams.

"You do? Aww." He groans.

"No! I--" His face drops. "If I do this and happen to save the world, what do I get in return?" I look at Aya. This is really stupid, but it'll work.

"I'll kiss Aya." They look at me with wide eyes. At the same time, they say:

"Deal!"

+ +

The girls drop me off at the supermarket and wish me luck. Indigo drives into the forest next to the location and park there. I see them hide in the car as they give me a thumbs up. I sarcastically smile and return the thumbs up. I look around me and see no one, not even a Hellborn in sight. Looking down at my stomach, I decide to head in and get some food.

"Stop right there, Pate." I stop in my tracks. When I turn around, a gun is pointed at me. I try not to act scared, and when I see it's a woman, I get cocky.

"And what's a fine lady want from me?" I smirk at her as she rolls her eyes.

"You know what I'm here for. Slowly put your hands up and kneel on the ground." I laugh.

"Naughty girl! If you wanted me that bad you should've just--" She shoots next to where my foot is. I flinch and gulp. Don't obey yet, Connie. "Woah! Nice aim, though you missed this time." She actually chuckles.

"I wanna kill you sweet cheeks, but the boss says no." I scoff.

"Well that's too bad, is it?" She gets closer. "Wait, sweetheart! Is there anyone around? I wanna make sure we're totally alone." She looks to the side quickly and back to me. "There's my answer."

"It's for my protection if you happen to attack--" I grab the gun that Indigo gave me and I point it to her. "And there's MY answer." She whistles and a few agents emerge from the bushes. They all start to shoot as soon as the lady waves her hand, and I run inside. With this tactic, they don't immediately suspect something from me. If I were to directly say, "alright, you caught me", they would have noticed something. At least now I can create a distraction and use my pager later. I forgot to mention that while we discussed our plan in the basement, I mentioned that two pagers were left behind by the policemen that cleaned up the scene that day. Indigo said to carry one of them while Aya and her would share.

"You set yourself up for this, kid!" I hide behind an aisle and take out the pager. I type out 'I'm going to turn myself in now. Get ready.' I send it and a minute later, I hear the slight beep from the pager. It read, 'Okay, good luck.' I smile and take a deep breath. I stand up and put my hands in the air. Every agent points their guns at me. The woman walks closer to me, slowly. "Glad to know you can turn yourself in when asked to." She pulls out handcuffs and ties them on my wrists, making sure they're tight.

"Oh, kinky!" She slaps me at the side of my head.

"Don't get so cocky, brat. There is so much we are going to do to you." I scoff. She raises her hand again and I flinch. "And wipe that smirk off your face." I roll my eyes and continue to walk out of the building. I try my hardest to not look at the car where the girls are. I just hope they can actually make this plan work.

+ +

"He just got in the car. I'll tell you when to start driving." Aya nods. They all enter the car and take a minute before driving off. I count down from ten. "Alright, now." Aya slowly drives out of our hiding spot and goes on the street. I nervously take a deep breath, but my breath comes out as shaky. Aya takes my hand. "Everything's gonna be alright, pumpkin. Have faith in him." I smile at her. I look down at the pager and see what he previously wrote back to me. A smiley face with a winking face following it. Yeah, I guess I have too much faith in him.

+ +