The Real Story Begins

After safely putting the guy in the car, Connie and I start our journey up west where his brother lives. If we're lucky enough, Adam is still alive, since he practically lives in his man cave. As Connie parks, the guy in the backseat starts to stur. We turn to him as his eyes start to open. "What the hell..."

"Save it. We decided not to kill you cause of the information you decided to spew out." I look at Connie with a shocked face. I never heard him talk like that before. Most of the time, he's a very relaxed person, but I'm guessing since we kept his mother's murderer alive he's not too thrilled. I smile slightly at Connie for a moment before turning back to the guy.

"Hey smart guy, what's your name?" He grunts.

"Richard." We both stifle a laugh. "Yes, very fun, but don't start calling me Dick--"

"Why not? It's a pretty great description for what you decided to pull earlier."

"Which part Indi? The part where he killed my mother or put a gun to your head." We both high five each other.

"Alright, listen, I really am sorry! How was I supposed to know your mother turned into one of the intelligent ones?!" We turn to Di-- I mean, Richard for the second time.

"What do you mean? Are there more of them?" He nods.

"I was walking on the sidewalk yesterday when the announcement came on my phone. As soon as it was over, I was met with a little girl standing in front of me. She looked normal, but after a few seconds, her eyes started to drip with blood." I get a chill up my spine. So they started to evolve way before, huh? "Then she told me to run in a raspy voice. I didn't understand what had happened to her, but I ran as fast as possible to the nearest house, which was yours." He looks down. "Thankfully, the door was unlocked and I entered immediately. I didn't notice anyone at first until I saw that woman outside. She must have been having tea outside when I saw her turn into one of those... things. I quickly located the door that was under the stairs and noticed the hatch was open revealing a gun, so I shot her quickly. I moved her body into the house and decided to stay there for the night. I hid when I heard you guys enter the house. That's all."

Connie and I process all the information that was given to us. At least he had a reason to kill, though it wasn't the prettiest coincidence. I looked at Connie once more, seeing his Adam's apple bobble up and down as he gulped and closed his eyes. "Again, man, I'm really sorry I killed your mom, honest." He looks at Richard and smiles.

"I can properly forgive you. At least you took her out of her misery." We all smile as the tension disappeared. Now our objective is to see Adam.

+ +

After untying Richard's ropes, we hop out of the car with our sunglasses while Richard looks down. I knock on the door and wait a few minutes before Adam speaks. "Yo, who's there?"

I clear my throat. "Hey man! It's Indigo and Connie along with a special guest named Richard. Can we come in?" I hear the door being unlocked and see Adam as he opens the door, helmet covered with duct tape on his head.

"I knew I recognized that voice! Hi Indigo, come on in!" I laugh. The rest of us enter his house and remove our protective gear. Finally, I got a good look at Adam. It's been a few years since I've seen him, and he hasn't changed that much. Still the same black hair and green eyes I remember. Connie resembles his brother a bit, but he took his mother's brown eyes instead. I smile and Adam smiles back, extending his arms. I accept his hug and we embrace for a bit. I failed to mention that I used to like Adam for a year, but as soon as I reached high school, he got a girlfriend, so I stopped liking him. Connie was a bit envious when I would gossip about his brother, but that's all in the past now. "You look good for this current event." I laugh.

Connie steps in, clearing his throat. "Yea, well, we just wanted to make sure you weren't dead." This puts a smile to Adam's face.

"Well I'm glad you still think of me little bro!" He embraces his little brother. Connie rings out of the hug. "Anyway, what are you guys doing here?" Connie pats his clothes as if they were dirty.

"We thought that maybe it would be best to stay here since you have a basement. Maybe we can gather a few people and--"

"NO!" We look at Richard. "No... that's too dangerous. What if one of them is disguised? We could get killed!" I try to calm Richard down, but he swats me away. "Get off of me! You two have been nothing but decisive for yourselves. Have you ever tried to consider my feelings?! Huh?!" Adam, Connie and I start to back away. "What's the problem now? Too afraid to--" Blood starts streaming down his eyes. He stops talking and places a hand to his cheek. He chuckles. "Oh." And just like that, he completely transforms into the same creature I've seen a few times, except he hasn't foamed in the mouth yet. The black veins on his skin appeared with rapid speed, covering his entire body, making him look like the inside of the human body.

I grab the gun from my pocket and aim it at his forehead. He then walks faster than normal to my direction and I start to panic. Connie slams him to the ground, trying not to get close to his face. "Now Indigo!" I aim the gun to his forehead once more and take the shot. Instantly, he dies. I exhale and put the gun back where it was.

"Damn, nice shot Indi!" I take a few breaths as I look at Connie. I nod in his direction. "C'mon, let's have you sit down." Connie leads me to the basement while Adam tags along. Just when I thought that things were figured out, they twist back into a mystery once again.

+ +