Chapter 5: Con #3

Con #3 - Reasons why you shouldn't sleep with someone who's last name you don't know

Getting ready for the party I felt nervous, I don't know why. I've been to Lola's house millions of times, but all of that was during my innocent days. What if her parents sensed that I had become not so innocent overnight and stopped me from seeing Lola, even though she was more experienced than me in every aspect of the word.

Ok I was getting ahead of myself.

I could hear Connor's car from miles away, he was playing All Time Low as usual. I was going to save him the trouble of greeting my parents, so I told them I was going over to Lola's house and Conner was my ride there.

As usual I didn't dress up fancily, but I'd promised Lola that I'd at least look decent, so I tried. I didn't want to embarrass my best friend in front of her brother.

I noticed a bunch of cars when we got to Lola's. And they looked like they belonged to very important people.

"Are you sure we're at the right place?" Conner asked jokingly.

"Lola should have told us it was a formal event" I said.

It looked like a black tie party and here Conner and I were in casual clothing.

"Nah we'll be fine."

We got out and found Lola by the door of their massive mansion.

"Wow Lo, why didn't you warn us! I would have bought a suit!" Conner said, but we laughed.

"Naw that's just for my brother and his uptight friends, see I'm not even wearing a dress."

Lola was right. She was after all wearing red skinny jeans, holding true to her emo kid phase.

But I still felt out of place.

I don't do social events, I'm socially awkward. But maybe new Katie could be cool and less awkward.

"Lets go meet your brother and then we can go to that new club and it will be fun cause Katie will be with us for the first time. Whoever that guy is we need to thank him for this transformation!" Conner said, winking at me.

Huh?

I gave him a questioning look but he just brushed it off. Conner was keeping something from me.

"Sure! Let's go in then guys" Lola said, basically dragging us through the door.

"Why is everyone so..." Conner whispered into my ear,

"Old?" I supplied. And he nodded, and we both laughed.

I felt like I was being watched.

"You guys wait here while I go find my idiot of a brother" Lola said.

Conner took two glasses of...something and gave the other one to me.

I drank it quickly assuming it was water because it was clear and didn't smell like alcohol.

My throat burned, and tears started running down my cheek, but we were both laughing.

"Sh*t! Conner you know I don't drink!"

"Or cuss either! I'm starting to like this Katie even more!" he said, taking my hand and leading me to the other side of the room - away from the drinks.

I've never danced. Ever. But with Conner I was so comfortable since he's one of my best friends.

Don't Let Me Down by the Chainsmokers  started playing, and I know Conner loves the song.

He started singing along like the mad person he is. He even twirled me and a couple of people started looking at us.

It was so embarrassing but funny at the same time.

'Crashing, hit a wall, right now I need a miracle' That's the only line he new and he was twirling me when it came on.

I was so embarrassed and my face was red but we were both laughing.

"You'd think by now you'd have learnt the lyrics to this..." I started to say but someone cleared their throat.

I looked up and saw Lola.

She was rolling her eyes and smiling at us.

Next to her was her brother.

I don't know why I started laughing, but Conner joined me as well.

It got so bad that we were hanging on to each other for support.

It must be whatever was in that drink Conner gave me. Eventually we stopped laughing because this was not funny at all.

"Guys, this is my brother Jared" Lola said.

"Jared these are my idiot best friends Conner and Katie"

What was I suppose to do?

...think Katie think...

But then Jared solved the problem by pretending he doesn't know me. 

At all.

He shook hands with Conner and exchanged a small hello.

And then he shook my hands but I couldn't meet his eye. I was retreating into my old Katie shell.

I could feel his eyes on me, Conner stifled a giggle.

He knew!

"Nice to meet you Katie" Jared said, emphasizing my name for some reason.

I grabbed Conner's arm.

"Excuse us for a minute" I said to Lola and HER BROTHER Jared.

We waked outside, and Conner was still laughing. I was freaking out.

"You knew." I accused him, punching him multiple times on the arm.

"Of course I didn't Katie...but I had an idea! I wasn't sure " he was laughing.

"What's so funny about this?" I was on the verge of pulling a 2007 Britney Spears.

"I don't see why you're stressing, he's clearly not going to tell anyone. So how about we go back in, enjoy ourselves for a couple of minutes, then take Lola and go out for a night on the town?"

I sighed.

"I guess you're right."

We went back in and found Lola waiting for us, out of the corner of my eye I saw Jared with some lady.

"Oh that's Veronica, isn't she pretty?! My brother has been putting off their engagement for a while now, but I'm pretty sure he's going to propose soon." Lola said.

Suddenly it wasn't such a fun night anymore.

***

Heyyyyy guys and girls :D

What do you think of the story so far? Please let me know in the comments :) vote and follow while you're at it ;)

xo

Val