Chapter 24: Pro #12

Pro #1 - The calm after the storm

It's been a little over a week and a half since the incident happened. I try not to think about the baby but there are times it catches me off guard and I find myself in a pit of depression. It's not the emotional roller coaster I thought it would be and I find myself feeling guilty for not being sad all the time.

Jared and I have been living in this undefined state since then as well. I don't really know what's going on in his head and we haven't really talked about it. He seems to be perhaps just going with the motion like our relationship is back to normal and there's nothing to talk about. Is our relationship back to normal? We still haven't had sex - as advised by the doctor, not that we'd be having it either way. Our whole relationship was just one big ball of confusion.

I find myself thinking that maybe I'm overthinking it and maybe things are normal. The only thing that is keeping me on the edge is that I don't wanna delude myself into thinking this relationship is something it's not or have false perceptions only to be hurt in the process. Jared knows how I feel, that I'm sure of because it's not been two weeks since I confessed my feelings so unless he has magically lost his memory then I think he's just pretending that it didn't happen.

"What are you thinking about?" Jared asks, plopping next to me on the couch.

"I was thinking about me going back to school so I can get my high school diploma but I don't really wanna have to go back to my old high school, it feels too weird" I said.

"There's an evening school that offers classes for different levels and stuff, a few blocks from my office actually. It's mostly just adults trying to get their diplomas and a few college kids so I don't know if you'd find that weird"

That wasn't such a bad idea. I knew that Jared didn't like the idea of me going back to my old school as well and I couldn't just live off him for the rest of my life. I wanted to get my high school diploma and maybe get into college or find a stable job. Staying at home all day was no fun and it felt suffocating at times.

"That seems like a good idea, I'll look into it"  I said.

"We can go check it out after lunch, I'm sure they're open on Saturdays" I always felt a rush of excitement when Jared offered to do things together. It made me happy.

"That sounds great!" I couldn't help beaming. My heart fluttered even more when Jared smiled at me. His smile reached his eyes.

"What" I had to ask.

"Seeing you happy makes me happy" He always knew what to say to make my heart beat faster.

"I'm gonna take a shower while you finish eating" He said and got up.

How was I supposed to not fall in love with Jared when he said all these cute things?

"How did you even find this place?" I asked Jared when we were waiting outside the office waiting to see the 'dean' for lack of a better name.

"I have my ways" He said, and I had to roll my eyes.

"Mr and Mrs Morales" The man said as he opened the door.

We headed in and he started discussing the practicalities with us. It was so boring and I was trying so hard not to get distracted. I had been out of school for way too long. I excused myself to get some water and left them talking.

"Katie!" Someone said behind me at the water dispenser.

"Sam" Wasn't this a surprise.

"What a coincidence" He said, getting a cup.

"Yeah, what are you doing here?" I asked.

"I was just passing by..no I'm kidding I have a few classes here actually" he said rubbing his neck. There was no reason for him to be embarrassed.

"Really? I'll be starting here soon as well" I said and that seemed to make him more at ease.

"That's freaking cool. We can be study buddies" He said.

"Don't push it buddy" Jared said from behind. He always seemed to appear at the most awkward times.

"Nice to see you again" Sam said.

"You too, lets go Kate" Jared said.

"See you around Sam" I said as Jared and I headed out.

"I just bumped into him when I was getting water" I felt the need to explain myself when we got to the car.

"I figured" Jared said.

"Are you mad?" I asked

"No. I just don't enjoy bumping into him everywhere"

"Yeah"

"I assume, you'll carry yourself properly once you start at that school" Jared said. Yep he was mad.

"Yeah, I'm gonna work really hard" I tried to lighten the mood but Jared still had the pissed off look on his face.

"Good." Jared said and we drove off in silence.

***

Hey ya'll  :)

I'm having a bit of writers block and would really appreciate some creative ideas from you guys. What would you like to see happen in the story? Please help

As always, thanks for reading,

Val x