Chapter 8: Pro #4

Pro #4 -  It's not every day you have a 3-4 day affair with a hot guy, so...story to tell the grandkids one day...?

When I got home I cried my eyes out. Immature thing to do right? But seeing as I'm only 17, what else could I do?

I know that Jared likes me, or at least is attracted to me right? I mean for the sex to be that hot, there has to be at least some mutual attraction right? But then again, what do I know, I don't have much experience. Probably why Jared 'broke' up with me. He's probably with his girlfriend-soon-to-be-fiancé right now, or whatever.

I guess people don't actually change, they just have moments of insanity, I mean, how else could I explain the last couple of days?

I sure as hell don't see myself doing that ever again. In fact, I feel my shell coming over again; I'm actually relieved- in a way- to be going back to my normal self.

I cried some more then had hot chocolate with lots of tiny marshmallows. And you know what? After that, I felt ok.

Conner called just about then and asked how it went. I told him everything, well, more like a summary skipping out my crying fit but he got the point. He said he was disappointed and hoped I was ok. I wasn't ok, but everything was going to be fine I guess.

The next couple of weeks went by in a blur. I missed Jared, but not as much as I thought I would, or was I lying to myself?  ok yes, I missed him terribly, and I bet that I never even crossed his mind. He was probably too consumed  with all the supermodels he hangs out with to remember the awkward 17 year old who he slept with once or twice.

Everything was sort of going back to its normal self; I was beginning to feel like the old me again. Everything was almost in its place, until I realized that something was wrong.

I picked up the phone one Saturday morning and called Lola.

"Hey Lo,"

"Hey sunshine"

Uhm...how do I say this.

"Are you busy today?" I asked.

"Never too busy for my better third!" she said melodramatically. I could have laughed, but this wasn't a time for laughing.

"Ok, so can you come over?"

"Yeah sure, give me 10minutes."

This was my cue... just throw it in there before she hangs up.

"One more thing Lo..."

I swallowed hard, my throat felt dry.

"Yeah???"

"Can you stop by the pharmacy and maybe perhaps buy a pregnancy test?"

Then the line went dead.

I don't think she hung up on me, because I heard the phone fall. She probably dropped the phone out of pure shock; it's something Lola would do.

See, I'm not just conventional Kate for nothing. Everything with me has a time and place. I've never missed a period and I've never been late. Never. Not even by a couple of days... and it had been a couple of days now...12 to be exact. I counted.

I felt a bit more composed than I imagined I should feel. That's one of the perks of being me I guess. I take everything in all at once and deal with it step by step.

Exactly 5 minutes later Lola walked in with a paper bag, it looked heavy. I gave her a questioning look.

She feigned innocence,

"What...? One is never accurate; we have to go through at least 3 to get an assured result."

"And did you get just 3?" I asked, one eyebrow raised.

"No actually, I got 5. I had an extra 20 bucks ok" she said, trying to defend herself.

And I giggled, but it was more of a nervous giggle.

"You're calm for someone in your situation, I'd be freaking out right now..." Lola said, sitting on my bed.

"I know." I said, and we sort of just sat in silence.

"Whatever happens, I still love you and will be there for you" Lola said as we went into my bathroom.

I took a deep breath after we read the instructions and said a little prayer.

But of course a pregnancy test couldn't tell me what I already didn't know.

***

dun-dun-dun-dun! the plot thickens :O

I really appreciate all the votes and comments guys, and everyone who sends me messages. you light up my day!

Thank you for reading

Val

x