Chapter 15: Pro #7

Pro #7 - You still get to have normal things like 'birthdays'

Conner pulled out a  little box when I met him across the road from the apartment.

"Happy birthday" He said smiling. Time was flying so fast.

"Awwww Conner, you didn't have to" He totally did, I was just saying it to be polite. What was a birthday with no presents? Coming from a big family, birthdays were a big deal.

Jared left for work this morning before I woke up. Fridays were his busy days and he usually came back way after midnight. I didn't mind spending the whole day with Connor and Lo. It was 10 times better than being alone in that miserable apartment.

"Happy birthday Katie" Lola said, handing me a little Victoria's Secret bag. Trust Lo to ALWAYS have a hidden agenda. It's not like I could wear the lingerie anyway, I was beginning to show and my 4 month old belly didn't look sexy.

"So where are we going?" I asked jumping into the back of the convertible.

"That little pancake place where they make those heavenly pancake desserts...but I can't stay long, I have a shift in 2hrs" Lo said, pouting. As much as I was a little sad to not be spending the whole day with Lo. I was also relieved that I didn't have to explain why I was going with Connor to find out my baby's gender and not Jared.

"Lo, I'm in need of a job" I said, in between my big bites of my pancakes filled with chocolate ice cream. Lo always knew a guy who knew someone who wanted a job. She was little miss social butterfly.

"Omg! How about where I work?? We're in dire need of a waitress and cashier. You'd have to take up the counter job cos you can't be heavily pregnant and on your feet all day" She said.

As much as she was exaggerating on the heavily pregnant part, she was right, it wasn't good for the baby and me to be on my feet all day.

"Yeah I'll come talk to the manager when we drop you off at work"

"Aren't you gonna open up your presents? Lo and I sweat blood and tears to get those for you" Conner said.

I opened up Lola's first, surprise surprise it was lingerie, "Lo I'm not even gonna use this, like you mentioned I'm heavily pregnant, but thank you" I hugged her, feeling my tears falling. These damn hormones.

"Didn't I tell you she's an emotional mess?" Conner said to Lola. I almost punched him, almost, but then I remembered he got me a birthday present.

I opened up his present and couldn't control the overwhelming feeling of gratitude I had for my friends. I started sobbing. Conner was right. These hormones were going to be the death of me.

"You guys, don't laugh. I'm really grateful that you've stayed by my side after everything. Conner thanks for the bracelet its beautiful..." I said, putting it on. I was at a loss for words. No one had ever gotten me jewellery apart from my mother and now Conner had gotten me a diamond bracelet.

"Not to ruin your moment but we gotta go, I start work soon" Lo said and we headed to the car.

Lola's manager was nice enough to offer me a job and even said I can start on Monday. At least I had something else to keep me busy instead of slowly losing my mind in that house.

"Conner is it so bad that I hate being married?" I asked whilst we were waiting for the ultrasound results.

He paused.

"I thought you like Jared" He said.

"I do, I did. I don't know. We have nothing in common and he hates me" Honestly I thought that when Jared and I got married we'd be having sex everyday, staying up late watching silly movies, going to the beach or something...anything at all.