Chapter 9: Con #5

Con #5 - When you do things- silly things you shouldn't be doing, there are always consequences...like pregnancy.

I walked out of my bathroom, feeling numb. I mean, what else was I supposed to feel.

"And then??" Lo asked, I had to laugh, she was all jittery, almost as if it was her who'd just got probably the biggest news in her life.

"Well the little line went pink..." I said, sighing, sitting down next to her.

"Katie!! You know I'm not a rocket scientist, what does it mean?! What does it all mean????" she said dramatically laying on my bed and looking at the ceiling. We both laughed.

I'm guessing the look on my face gave it all away because she asked me,

"So what are you going to do?"

I half smiled.

I honestly didn't know.

"I don't know Lo, right now I wanna scream and throw things and laugh and cry, I might just lose it..."

"Jeez woman! Getting hormonal already? I feel so bad for my brother, he's the one going to have to deal with all your cravings for goodness sake!"

I stiffened.

Jared.

Oh no. I'd almost forgotten.

I hadn't even thought past telling my parents...

"Katie... why are you zoning out on me...I don't like this very much..." she said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Lo you have to promise not to tell anyone, especially not Jared. Please."

She looked at me sadly.

"He's my brother Katie, and he has a right to know. I'm not saying I'm going to tell him, but if he asks me what's going on, I won't lie to him. And he is going to find out sooner or later Katie, I mean you can't exactly hide a pregnancy..."

She had a point.

"I get what you're saying Lo, but just try to hold it in for a little while, please?"

I wasn't ready to have anyone find out, let alone Jared of all people.

"Ok, I'll try... but you know me Katie."  She said, grinning, and I had to smile.

Yeah, I did. Lola couldn't lie to save her life, but then again, I was exactly the same. So how was I going to keep this a secret until I figured out something to do...? Or rather, how was I going to break the news to my parents...

Lola then stood up and hugged me, and some tears just rolled down my cheek.

What had I gotten myself into?

"Let's call Conner and have some ice cream. He always knows what to do."

"Yeah, he does." So we called Conner and 15 minutes later we were all sitting at our favourite local ice cream shop, having ice cream.

"So, have you guys seen Knocked up? It came out a while ago" Conner said, and laughed, alone for that matter.

The baby jokes had not stopped since we met up.

"Enough Conner!! This is a serious matter you know, not some joke." Lo said. She was actually just as nervous and stressed out as I was.

"Ok ok, sorry guys." He said. But he did not look at all one bit sorry.

"So do you have any suggestions?" I asked, hoping for some progress.

He grinned, I groaned.

This was not going anywhere.

"Yeah, name the kid after me!" he said, and Lola punched him. I was so grateful to have her on my side.

"Hey what if it's a girl!" She said.

Never mind.

"Ugh guys, can we please try and be constructive here, this baby's not getting any smaller." I was beginning to get a bit frustrated.

By the time Conner dropped me off at home, we had come up with zero solutions.

I guess I was going to have to do this on my own.

During dinner I excused myself, saying I had a bad stomach. Ironic, I know.

But the excuse worked and I went to bed. I thought I'd cry my eyes out and never wake up, but in fact, I didn't even catch a drop of sleep.

I don't remember falling asleep. All I remember is the sound of voices downstairs that woke me up in the morning.

My tummy grumbled- not a good sign. Well, either that or I was just hungry.

I brushed my teeth, slid my fingers through my hair and decided to go find out what all the racket was about.

The minute I reached downstairs and saw Lola's guilt covered face, I began to panic, even my palms became sweaty.

I looked across to the dinner table and saw not only Jared, but his parents and my parents too.

Oh well.

I looked over to Lola for an explanation, but I already knew.

She mouthed the words 'I'm sorry' as I walked past her to sit at the only remaining seat at the dinner table.

***

Vote! Comment! Follow! :)

Val

x