Chapter 1 Isolation

A/N: Hello all, I just wanted to thank you for reading Melanie's first year and welcome you to her second year at Hogwarts. Please vote, comment, and of course, enjoy!

Disclaimer: Once again, here are the characters I added~ Melanie Rosen, Lenora Lane, Rebecca Chamberson, Richard Chamber, Livia Rosen, Theodin Rosen, Tinker, Mars Lane

Chapter 1

Isolation

Mid-afternoon, the sun shining blatantly through the window, I lay across on my bed, flat on my stomach, flipping through the pages of last year's Defense Against the Dark Arts book.Surrounding me on the bed were letters written by both Draco and Lenora, though only two came from my male friend. I found I enjoyed Lenora's more anyway as she would include jokes (most at Pansy's expense), memories of good times our first year at Hogwarts, and suggestions on adventurous activities we can do our next year. Draco's letters were mostly boasting about the fancy places his parents would take him to and the expensive items they would buy him. His latest news is that he was guaranteed a spot on the Quidditch team and his father bought him a Nimbus 2001. I thought you had to actually try out before making the team. I wonder what he, or Mr. Malfoy for that matter, bribed them with to get Draco on the team.

"Melanie?" I heard Mother call as she knocked on my bedroom door.

"Yeah, Mum," I answered apathetically.

She opened the door and walked her, her blonde hair pulled neatly back into a bun. Mum wore a look of concern on her face.

"You have not left your room today," she pointed out to me. "I don't even think you've left the house in over a week."

I shrugged, my eyes remaining on the pages of my book. "There's no where I want to go."

"What about your friends?" my mother pleaded. "What about Dudley? You have not seen him all summer."

"I don't think Dudley would much care for what I am now," I muttered through gritted teeth.

"Fine, then what about his cousin, Harry?" Mum demanded, pausing for a moment before she forced out, "He's...er, like you, is he not?"

This time I actually lifted my head to look directly at her. "I thought I was not allowed to see Harry Potter."

Mother sighed. "Well, that was before we found you were, well... like him. Now, I really don't see the point in keeping you away from him."

"I don't want to see Potter," I stated firmly, returning my gaze to my book.

She put her hand against her head in frustration. "Fine, Melanie. If you want to waste your summer rotting away in this room, then go right ahead!"

With that, she strutted out slamming the door behind her. I merely let out a huff and returned to my book, counting the days until I can return to Aunt Becky's and Uncle Richards's. My parents just do not seem to understand me at all anymore. With my mother's prejudice and my father's fear, magic is rarely ever the topic of discussion, yet it is now my whole world. What I want now is to be around others like me. Maybe I am developing my own discrimination against muggles. That would likely come from spending the whole year with Draco, though I know I will never feel as strong about the matter as he does. Sometimes I find his constant complaints on muggles and muggle-borns rather exhausting. That was why I enjoyed spending most of my time with Lenora. I actually have fun with her, even if we get into trouble from time to time.

Ironically just as I thought of Lenora, an owl pecked at my window. I quickly opened it since neither of my parents like the idea of me getting mail this way for some reason. I found that the letter was indeed from Lenora.

Dear Melanie,

Are you back home yet? If you are we need to see each other. My dad just got the inside scoop on the new Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher at Hogwarts. Oh my god, you are not going to believe it! I can't wait to tell you, but I have to do it in person. So do you think you can come to my place soon? I'll give you the address. Miss you!

Lenora

Okay, that's it. I have to find a way back to the wizarding world now. I do not know what kind of news Lenora has on our new teacher but just the idea of seeing her is enough to make me want to go. All I had to do was convince my parents to let me go back to the Chamberson Manor earlier this year.

xXx

That night, the three of us sat down for dinner in silence. On a regular night, the topic of discussion would be about Dad's job as a lawyer. Seeing as no new cases were going on, no one said a word.

I scanned my eyes from each of them ready to break the ice. "Mom, Dad...uh, I was wondering if maybe I could go back to Aunt Becky's earlier this year?"

Father looked at me sharply. "You already want to go? It seems like we just got you back."

"Well, I wanted to spend more time with Aunt Becky and Uncle Richard, too, before going back to Hog... well, school."

I did not say the name, Hogwarts, as that usually put them both in a foul mood.

Mum just rolled her eyes and looked to Dad. "She may as well, Théoden. She never does anything here except sulk in her room."

"I don't sulk, Mother!" I snapped. "I'm doing schoolwork."

Mum just shrugged and returned her eyes back to her plate. "Well, either way, if you want to go back than I suppose that's fine."

Dad turned to her and asked, "Are you sure, Liv?"

Still not looking at either Dad or me, Mom nodded. "Yes, I'll write to Rebecca tomorrow."

xXx

Sure enough, just one week later, I found myself back with my aunt and uncle. It felt so good to be back at the manor. Aunt Becky welcomed me with a warm smile when she picked me up. She and Mum did not chat much as my mother showed no interest in doing so. Even though my aunt seemed rather hurt by Mom's coldness, she did not mention it the whole trip.

"So have you been writing to any of your friends?" Aunt Becky asked as we sat down on the sofa together.

"Mostly Draco and Lenora," I replied and then recalled Lenora's last letter. "Actually, I was wondering if I could go to Lenora's place today?"

She paused, looking uncertain. "Well, Melanie, I don't think that is such a good idea."

"Why not?" I demanded.

Aunt Becky sighed. "It's just I don't really know what goes on in that place. Her father seems to have a different approach to parenting. I'm afraid I can't let you go over there."

Just as I opened my mouth to protest, Uncle Richard entered the room, appearing quite stressed.

His expression transformed into a brief smile upon seeing me. "Melanie, its good to have you back. Have you been well?"

I nodded and let out a small smile too as it was nice to hear my school's name again.

He turned back to my aunt and said urgently, "Rebecca, I just got a letter from Cornelius Fudge. He wants us both at the ministry this afternoon."

"Did he say what for?" Aunt Becky demanded.

He shook his head. "No, all he said was that it was important."

She let out a deep exhale of exhaustion. "Very well. I suppose we better get moving." She then turned to me. "Melanie, Tinker will help you unpack your things. We should be back in a couple hours."

Once they both left, I sent Tinker up to get started while I remained downstairs. This could not have worked out more perfectly. With both my aunt and uncle out of the house and the house elf occupied, I could do what I really wanted to do. I grabbed some parchment and a feather to write my best friend, preparing to find my way to the Lane Residence.