Trust a Vampire? You've gotta be kidding me. Ch. 34

Chapter 34: Kids

The screams of excitement from not far off and the aroma of artery-clogging food were the first to hit my senses. It completely confused me. Underneath the

"Trace, where are we?" I demanded. I tried to pull of his warm hands, but he firmly kept them in place. I could only see a snatch of the blue sky above.

"Be patient. Just take a few steps forward," Trace murmured into my ear. I took a few slow steps forward, feeling my way out, just in case there was a dip. I felt grass tickle my feet with the first step, but then I stepped onto rough, rocky ground. It felt...sort of like a road, but not car hewn.

"Trace," I protested slowly. I heard a rumble that made me tense up immediately. "I swear if a train or something hits me..." I trailed off with my threat. Trace chuckled. I forced myself to keep moving, though. The noises were roaring in my ears now.

"Okay, you can stop now," Trace said. I bolted my feet to the ground, not wanting to move another foot into unknown territory. Oh so slowly, Trace lifted from my eyes. The sun blinded me for a second, but my eyes quickly adjusted to the light. What I saw floored me. I actually

I stared at the humans of almost all ages that wandered and ran aimlessly around to various, colorful rides. The scent of junk food was from eye-attracting booths with obnoxiously large signs and shouting cashiers. Sizzling from foods being fried could be heard from the kitchens. My eyes followed a track as it did a loop-de-loop before dipping south at an intimidating angle. Other smaller attractions lit up and sounded silly noises.

It took me a moment to find my voice. "What are we doing at..." It took me a moment to remember the word, "Amusement park?"

Trace turned me around and stared at me with an amused look. "Well, what do people do at amusement parks?" he asked with a smirk.

"Ummm... I don't know..." Something flashed across his eyes. "They ride rides and... eat food?"

"So then let's ride rides and eat food." Trace linked an arm through mine and started pulling me towards the amusement. I awkwardly stumbled after him for a minute before keeping up with his pace, hiding the pain my thigh was causing me.

"Uh, slow down Trace," I said softly, not wanting him to know that my leg was still hurting.

Still he somehow automatically knew what was wrong. "Sorry," my vampire quickly apologized.

I waved his apology off with a hand. "It's alright. No biggy." I could see Trace wanted to argue, but he dropped the matter.

"Which one do you want to go on first?" Trace asked as we walked a little ways back from a crowd of humans. Well, Trace pretty much forced me to lean on him a little. My arms were wrapped around his waist and I limped along with him.

I turned my eyes to his light amber ones. "Sorry. Ummm, I don't know," I answered anxiously. "You choose." Trace eyes darkened a little, and I felt some emotion simmering in him. I thought I angered him, so I quickly pointed to the nearest attraction and muttered, "Let's ride that." A smile instantly spread across his face.

It was a drop tower about four hundred or so feet high. I listened to the whoosh as the gondola lifted off, shooting up as fast as an eagle can dive. I wasn't afraid of heights, but my heart sped up a little. This was just too unfamiliar to me.

Trace pulled me over to the line. I thought we were going to have to wait behind the dozen or so people who were standing impatiently in line, but Trace dragged us straight to the front of the line, not even getting so much as a bad glance. The humans parted for us until we were waiting at the front.