Breaking Foundations: Chapter 8

We made love for hours in the woods exploring the depths of each other's body and limits. I was exasperated and my body ached from the action, but it was the best feeling I had ever felt in my entire life. I couldn't wait to do it again. I was surprised we were not spotted by travelers or consumers being so close to town. By the time we made our way back towards Martha's where the carriage was waiting, the sun was setting. The ride back to Samuels estate was quite more pleasant and enjoyable than the coming. I slept most of the way.

After dinner, I made my way up to my bedroom alone. Sam still insinuated the importance of separation and abstinence before marriage. It seemed a little late for that, but I didn't drag the issue. However, I felt rather uneasy and hesitant being alone in my room by myself, even with the door locked. I was scared, but I hadn't mentioned my worries to Sam. Some things were better left unsaid and I didn't exactly feel like stirring the pot at the moment. Everything was going so great, and I didn't want anything to ruin it. So, I decided to walk over to the cabins where Teal, Aunt Karen, and Lasette resided for comfort. I didn't want to be alone tonight...Not after what happened the night before.

''Hey. Its so late. The Prince lets you walk outside at this time of night by yourself?'' asked Teal who was sitting on the porch by herself enjoying the late Summer air. Suddenly, I could no longer hide the way I felt, and my plastered smiling mask automatically turned into a frown. I couldn't fight back the sobs and burning tears that broke their silence.

''Oh Rain. What's wrong? Did he hurt you? I'll kick his ass,'' she said as she wrapped her arms around me. Her cloths were ripped and ragged, and she smelled of a hard-working woman.

''No. Not him,'' I managed to say through my uncontrollable sobs. ''Grant. He may have slipped something into my drink last night and... and..'' I couldn't finish my sentence but there was no need because she understood.

''Did you tell Sam, at least?'' she asked.

''No. He'll never want to marry me,'' I confessed to her. ''He all about abstinence and purity.''

''Well, you can always confide in me,'' said Teal.

''I know. Thank you,'' I said squeezing her, ''But you can't tell anyone. Not Aunt Karen and not Lasette, ''I said.

''Of course not,'' she said wiping the remainder of my tears off my face. ''Now let's go for a little walk along the trail and I can sleep with you in your room if your still scared.''

''Ok'' I agreed feeling slightly better.

I made my way up to my bedroom alone, while Teal gathered her belongings to join me. I had reassured her that I would be fine until she came up to sleep in my room for the night. I quickly slipped off my dress and put on my white, cotton nightgown. I locked the door behind me and sulked down into my bed. I shut my eyes and tried to relax myself, but the flicker of candle lights awoken my concentration.

What the hell was that? I thought to myself. I instantly inched to the foot of bed and frantically looked around. The lights flickered again and then boom, they went completely out.

Relax, Rain. It's nothing. Lights go out all the time. Just find your way to unlock the door and wait for Teal in the hallway. I reassured myself. However, my intuition told me that was not the case. Suddenly the locked door creaked open and closed. The terrify noise of the chain securing the door to be locked told me, I was in big danger. I heard unwelcomed footsteps coming towards me. I quickly inched back towards the backboard of the bed.