Spend: Chapter 2

My father appeared in the kitchen after Sam made his appearance known. He wore his long and wavy blond hair out and free. He had attired himself in a white shirt fleece, black vest, and white-colored breeches. I glanced at Sam for a moment and gave him a polite smile. I glanced at my father who gave me a disapproving look. I looked back down to the floor and went back to work. I wouldn't dare conversate with a house guest with my father hovering over my every move.

''The colored and their singing. Beautiful as ever but can cause a great disturbance. Sorry about that, Sam,'' said Master Brandy as he patted Sam on the back. ''We can discuss business matters in my office-''

Sam held one finger up signaling for Master Brandy's silence. I met Sam's eyes and froze. I felt hypnotized by his beauty, kindness, and grace. My father disapprovingly glared at me, and I placed my head down towards the floor again. Sam walked towards me and kneeled until I could feel his breath upon my nose.

He lifted my head by my chin and said ''Your eyes are too beautiful to look down." I blushed and nervously smiled, and he smiled back at me and said, ''Sing to me again, blue eyes.'' I tried to glance at my father for approval, but he grabbed my chin with stern hands and said in a gentle voice ''Don't look at nobody but me."

I looked deeply into his eyes, and felt the magnetic pull of the chemistry between us. He grabbed both of my hands and said, ''I'll wait all day to hear you sing again." I took a deep breath and begin to sing the lyrics of amazing grace never breaking eye contact with him. When I was almost finished, singing Sam interrupted me and finished the song. His voice was specular, and he sung on a perfect note.

''You have an amazing voice, as well,'' I complimented him.

Sam smiled at me and said, ''I would like to spend the day with you. I would like to take you out to the lake and into town."

''Sam she's nothing but a handful. My beautiful daughter Belle would love to accompany you today,'' said Master Brandy.

''I met Belle last night. She is quite exquisite, but she is quite the harlot as well," said Sam. I almost choked on my own spit at the harsh words he spewed from his mouth. No one has ever spoken or stood up to my father like Sam had.

''Listen, you can't-'' said Master Brandy.

''Is this how you treat all your potential buyers? Put the lady in a nice dress and have her ready for me in a half hour," Sam demanded.

Master Brandy sighed in frustration and said ''Teal take Brandy to the powder room and tell Jessica to make Rain look her best for Mr. West, here."

Sam playfully tapped my nose and whispered into my ears, ''I'll come back for you." His voice sent shivers down my spine and irritated the butterflies in my stomach. ''Well, about that business talk Mr. Brandy'' he said in a confident voice.

''Mr. Brandy sighed and said ''Right this way Mr. West'' as he gestured him in the direction of his office.

Teal squeezed my shoulders and squealed.

''Relax, I'm sure it's nothing. Why would he want a black girl, like me?'' I pondered aloud.

''You're a black girl with blue eyes and damn nearly blond hair. Now stop acting foolish and let's get you glammed up,'' said Teal.

''But-'' I said.

Teal interrupted my words and said ''I'm trying to get you married, so we both can get out of this place!'' I smiled as Teal pulled my hand and led me upstairs towards the powder room where the seamstress was at work. The powder room was painted pink and had a large mirror and many clothing attire on large racks. Jessica rolled her large eyes at the sight of us. "What do you want?" she demanded in an annoyed voice.