Rescue: Chapter 6

It was noon by time I had awoken the next day. I was still in pain but not as bad as the day before. I glanced out the rusty window to see Aunt Karen outside with the rest of the coloreds picking cotton in the fields. My father was sitting on the porch of his big white mansion sipping a presumably cold and alcoholic beverage. I decided to stay inside until he was no longer present to avoid his wrath. My hate for him fumed like wildfire and I never wanted to talk to him again.. The ultimate truth was he would never forgive me and I didn't know if I could forgive myself either. My skin color was only a waiver to justify his hate for me, I thought to myself. My father remained outside gawking and yelling at the men and women working in the fields for hours as the day grew old and the sun started to hide.

Aunt Karen returned hours later with bread and a bucket of water in her dirty hands. I was able to stand up and assist bringing the bread to the table. She looked dirty and exhausted but still kept a big smile on her face.

''I have a surprise for you'' she said.

''What is it?'' I asked. The door of the wooden cabin sprung open and Teal ran through the door and we embraced tightly.

''You look terrible'' Teal said to me.

''You look terrible, as well'' I replied and we both giggled. Teal's face was black blue and the scars abstracted her beauty. My pain and scaring was minimal compared to hers and I caressed my hands on her face.

''Don't'' she said as she pushed my hands away. ''Don't feel bad for me. Just promise to take me away when you marry your Prince,'' she said sarcastically, and that was my exact plan.

I spent most of the week inside Aunt Karen's cabin avoiding my father wrath and awaiting Sam's arrival. I was awoken in the morning of the eighth day of confinement to multiple gun shots and the raging sound of thunder and lightning rattling the earth.

''What's that sound?'' Aunt Karen said who was already awake and eating a slice of bread at the wooden table. I shrugged and peered out the window and saw Sam outside on horse with a gun to my father's head.

''Oh my gosh! Its Sam, he's here for me!'' I yelled quietly. Aunt Karen walked towards the window and we both gawked outside the window. My father was all alone and none of his men came to his aide.

''Tell me where she is or I will put a bullet in your head, right now!'' Sam yelled.

''She's in the cabins with her coloreds where she belongs. She's a colored and will always be. No matter how pretty or bright her skin may be!'' my father yelled over the thunder. Sam swiftly took his gun from my father's head, struck him across the face with it, and he fell to the ground face-forward into a large puddle of water. Sam jumped off his horse and handed it off too one his horsemen and ran towards the cabins.

I ran towards the door of the cabin and swung it open. Cold rain drenched over my feet and hands, and the strong winds took me by surprise. I hadn't brushed my teeth nor washed myself in days, and my hair was in a raged ball, but I didn't care. ''Sam!'' I yelled over the loud thunder and sky lit up with electricity. Sam's eyes light up in excitement when he saw my face, and he quickly ran towards me. My feet hovered off the ground as he lifted my body with his tight embrace. His wet body soaked the front of my cloths and my face and I felt some of my newly healed wounds rip open.

My facial expression immersed intense pain from my body. Sam grasped my face and said, ''What did he do to you? I'll kill, if he hurt you... I promised I would never let anyone hurt you, if you were mine. I read your letter, but I would have come sooner if I knew how bad it had gotten.'' he said apologetically.