A Timeless Man: Chapter 21

What if there was no concept of time and just being. Being alive and marked by the curse of life caused by the forbidden fruit. A promise of painful birth and death.

An uncursed man paced back and forth in a black suite in a lab-room filled with testing tubes and lab jackets. It reminded him of his days in medical school.

"Dr. West!," announced a man who came through the door abruptly and eagerly.

"It is a pleasure to meet you! I have heard so much about your unique condition," he said as he greeted Samuel with a smile and shook his gloomy red hands in his own.

"Can't say I feel the same," he replied sarcastically.

"I'm Doctor Hotdog-" the brown eyed frail figured man began to say but was shortly cut off by the laughter of Samuel.

"Sorry Doc," said Samuel as he fixed his composure and tightened his lips.

"I get that all the time. You can call me Doctor H," he said blushing and awkwardly scratching the back of his blond-haired head

"Now we'll just go ahead and get started with some tests," said Doctor H as he reached for a lab jacket and medical kit filled with testing-tubes and needles.

He gestured for Samuel to sit down in a nearby chair and promptly took his arm and cleaned it with a disinfectant solution. Doctor H examined his arm before placing the needle inside. He struggled as he tried to find a vein to draw blood from.

"Here," said Sam as he gestured for the needle. Allow me, you'll blow my vein," he said.

"Only authorized professionals here," Dr. H responded humorously as he patted Sam on the shoulder.

Sam reaches in his pocket for his license and presented on the desk. "I am a professional and I can assure you that you're going to blow my vein. That would make me very agitated," Sam said hastily as he took the needle from Dr. H.

"Okay Doc, lets see what you got," Dr. H responded testily.

Sam carefully felt his arm for a vein before pricking himself with the needle and liquid oozed out. They both watched the body liquid ooze from his arm and into the tube in shock and amazement. Blood and glowing liquid oozed from Sam's arm.

"This is amazing...Impossible," said Dr. H under his breath. He looked as if he was about to faint but only gather more tubes to fill.

After Dr. H filled as many tubes as he could possibly find in the lab, it was time for a break.

Sam was given food and water to restore his body liquid after the blood draw. The researchers persisted he replenish himself before further testing. However, he felt fine and had no appetite. He accepted the food but quickly gave it to one of the homeless in the streets of New York before taking a seat on a nearby bench.

He wondered about himself. He wondered how long he'd live and what death must feel like. He shivered from the cold and wrapped his arms around himself. The cold reminded him that he was only human and was not invincible. He had second thoughts about giving away his food away as his stomach growled. He could still bleed, bruise and heal just as anyone else. He could still die, just not from age. He took a deep breath and went back inside the Jared Mathis Institute.

For the remainder of the day, they continued to do several tests. Researchers and doctors tested his heart rate, took samples of every fluid and hair on his body. By the end of the day, he felt like some strange experimentation and not human. He considered walking out several times but thought of all the lives that could be saved from his condition.