Confessions: Chapter 14

I continued to sprint until I sprang right into the arms of my beloved future husband. ''What's wrong?'' he asked cupping the back of my head.

''Grant has got Teal and another girl locked away in the stables against their will,'' I said frantically.

''Blue eyes, are you sure?'' he asked cupping my face and forcing me to make eye contact with his worried green eyes. I nodded and he gave his men standing behind him one hand signal and they went running towards the direction of the stables.

He took me by the hand and led me to the safety of our bedroom where he posted two guards at the door. ''Stay here,'' he ordered and gallantly proceeded to the rescue.

I found myself pacing around the room and biting my nails to pass the time and feed my anxiety. I tried mixing some herbs together to relax myself, but it was no use. It was nightfall by time Sam returned, and I was drowsed but wide-awake still worrying and pacing.

The door flung open and Sam appeared at the door battered and bruised. His eye was swollen, and he had bruises up and down his arms. ''What happened?'' I asked as quickly I disappeared into the bathroom and returned with a wet cloth to damp his eyes with and relieve some of the pressure on it. I attempted to touch his face, but he gently pushed me aside and walked over to the wall. He was angry and decided to allow him a few moments to let his anger out before I bombarded his space again. He was so angry he punched a hole into the wall.

''What the hell is wrong with you!?'' I asked.

''Grant!'' he replied back just as hastily, and I decided it was best if I let him cool off for a few more moments. He then, walked over to the window and opened it. He peered out of it for a long while, collecting his thoughts or trying to figure out the next thing to do. He breathed in and out heavily and punched the inside of his palm several times before turning around to face me. He was slightly calmer, but his red face indicated he had not dissipated his anger entirely.

''The bastard punched me and got a few good hooks on me, like a coward when I was not looking. I told him I would have the stables searched, and he flipped out me like a maniac,'' he said shrugging his shoulders.

I attempted once more to dab the swollen and bleeding eye of his with the wet rag and he denied me once more. ''I'm okay, Blue Eyes. Rest and I'll join you later,'' he said turning his head away from me.

''No,'' I said stubbornly. ''I'm the doctor today, and you will let me clean your eyes. Now for the love of peace and sake, sit on the stool and tell me exactly what happened!'' I yelled at him and pointed my finger to the stool.

He did not put up a fight and obediently sat on the wooden stool. He did not speak but allowed me to clean his eye with the rag for a few minutes. ''Now, it's your turn to listen to me,'' he said grabbing by the arm and spinning me into his lap and securing me with his arms.

''I don't know how to tell you this, but Teal is missing,'' he said. I had my men search the entire stables after my fight with Grant. We found shackles and her cloths in the stables, but she was not there, nor was the other girl,'' he said tightening his grip around my stomach and kissing my shoulder. My heart sunk at the thought of who the other girl could be. Could it possibly have been Teal's sister, I thought to myself.

''I'm Sorry, Blue Eyes. We looked everywhere. I sent some men on foot to look for them tonight but there was no trace or track to go off and it's not looking so good,'' he said gently rubbing my arm and I laid my head on his shoulder.

''What about Grant?'' I asked.

''He is locked in shackles in the barn and my men will guard him at all times until I can ship him off to the Jared Mathis Research Institute of Medicine in New York,'' he replied.