Permission

Tadashi grabbed his jacket and bike helmet.
"Cass, I'm going out for a little while!" He yelled going out the door.
"Wait! Tadashi sweetie!" She called after him, walking around the counter. Tadashi waited at the door.
"Tadashi come with me really quick." She said. They walked and sat down at a table.
"What's up?" Tadashi asked. She looked at him straight in his eyes.
"Look, I don't wanna wake Hiro up but... Before I open the cafe I wanted to say this. Your growing up so much. Your almost twenty and your just so mature. And your in a serious relationship now. And-" she begins to tear up. She takes his hand. She inhales deeply.
"And I just wanna let you know... When you wanna move out and-" she starts to cry. Tadashi stands up and walks around to her side. He hugs her.
"Why would you think I wanna move out of here anytime soon? Even if I did I'd still be around." He says.
"I just love you honey. I don't want you to leave me." She says. She wipes away her tears.
"But. It's your life. Your in a serious relationship and you need to carry that out." She says regaining her breath.
"Cass?" Tadashi begins. She looks up at him and nods.
"About the serious relationship. I Uh... I don't know how to say this. But... I really like HoneyLemon. And I love her and-" he stops himself and takes a small box out of his pocket. He slides it over the table to Cass. She opens the box and looks inside. Her eyes glance up at him.
"When were you thinking of asking?" She asks. Tadashi leans back in his chair.
"I don't know. I don't know how or when. Or how any of this works. I just know that I have to do this. She's the one. I wouldn't wanna live my life with anyone else." Tadashi says.
"Well, it's a beautiful ring. And I know if you just ask her in the right way, she'll say yes." Cass says.
"I was on my way to ask her mom. For permission. I know HoneyLemon isn't home right now so, yeah." Tadashi says putting the ring back in his pocket. Cass nods.
"Why her mom? Shouldn't you ask her dad?" Cass asks. Tadashi looks at the floor.
"HoneyLemons dad died about six months ago." He replies sadly. She nods.
"Well go. I agree with you. It's the right choice. And if her mom allows you too, when you ask HoneyLemon, tell HoneyLemon her new aunt says hi." At that Cass gets up and flips the sign to open. Tadashi stands up. He walks over to Cass and hugs her.
"Cass, thank you. For everything." He says. She whispers me too and he leaves the cafe. He climbs on his motorcycle and drives to Honeylemons house. He slowly walks up the steps. Before knocking he texts HoneyLemon. It says:
Tadashi: hey HoneyLemon are you home?
HoneyLemon: no sorry I'm shopping right now. I'll be home at noon!" And at that he smiled. Now he could ask her mom. He knocked a few times on the door. Honeylemons mom opens the door.
"Oh hi Tadashi. HoneyLemon isn't home right now. I'm sure she'll be home soon." She says.
"I know Ms. Miako. I actually I had a question for you." Tadashi says.
"Ok, you need anything?" She asks. He shakes his head.
"I wanted to ask... Um sorry I don't really know how to say this. I would like to marry your daughter." He says looking at the ground.
"Oh..." Ms.Miako said.
"Don't feel like you need to answer now. And don't feel pressured to say yes. It's just a question." He said still not looking at her.
"Be good to her." She says.
"What?" He asks.
"You may. Your a good person and I know you will be good to her. And I know she loves you too. When her dad died and then when we thought you did... It really crushed her spirit. But now your here. And I trust you with her." Ms. Miako says. Tadashi just stares.
"Rea- I mean-but- thank you." He says trying to utter his words. Ms.Miako smiles. She closes the door after they say goodbye. Tadashi yells with joy as he runs to his motorcycle. On his way home he parked at a coffee shop. Once inside he texted HoneyLemon:
Tadashi: hey HoneyLemon how's shopping?
HoneyLemon: good. Are you ready for the grand reopening of our school tomorrow?
Tadashi:yeah are you?
HoneyLemon:👍 okay I've got to go, but see you later. LUV ya!
Tadashi: you too.
And at that he drove home, to Cass and Hiro. There was still one more person he had to ask permission. His brother. Once home he ran up the stairs. Hiro was watching a movie in their room.
"Hey Hiro, flip the switch on the movie really quick. There's something I have to ask you." Tadashi says. Hiro pauses his movie.
"And right when it's getting to the good part." Hiro says jokingly to Tadashi. Tadashi chuckles slightly.
"So what's this question that you made me pause the movie for?" Hiro asks. Tadashi looks at the floor.
"Well buddy. You know me and HoneyLemon are very serious in our relationship right now." Tadashi says. Hiro nods.
"Well... I have a question to ask you. Now, this is up to you. My whole decision is based on how you feel. So I can't really say this without saying it in a weird way. When I was practicing in the mirror that day, I was practicing to... Ask HoneyLemon a very important question. So, this is the question I wanna ask her. I wanna ask her to marry me. Now Hiro this is up to you. If your not ready I understand." Tadashi says trying to make him understand.
"Why would you ask me? I'm just your brother." Hiro says. Tadashi looks at him.
"Hiro, I'm asking you BECAUSE your my brother. And my friend. So what do you say?" Tadashi asks. Hiro stands up and runs his fingers through his hair. Then he leans on the wall facing Tadashi.
"Well. This is your life Tadashi. I say..." Hiro begins.
"Before you answer Hiro. I know you arnt all for me and HoneyLemon dating and all. But-" Tadashi begins but Hiro cuts him off.
"Who said I wasn't all for it? Sure, she can get a little annoying with the pet names and such. But, she's like a sister to me. Tadashi I shouldn't have a say in this at all. The fact that you told me, makes me sure you won't just run off with her." Hiro says sitting back down.
"Hiro, that was the most mature thing you've ever said. And thanks for being my little brother." Tadashi says, as he raises his fist for a fist bump. They fist bump and Hiro flips the movie back on. Tadashi walks out of the room and outside.
"Guess I do have the best brother." Tadashi said smiling.