Chapter 28

Chapter 28

AN: Hey guys! Man, I'm so glad to be back! A few things before we begin. First, I would like to confirm that yes, this is the last chapter of this story. Honestly, I am very proud of myself to not have chickened out in the middle of this story. There have been a few people who have told me that this is somewhat of an achievement, to complete a Hiraishin story without abandoning it.

That would have been a disappointment.

I hope you guys enjoyed the story, even though there have been a few cringe-worthy chapters. I have revealed that Shippuden is a go, because honestly, it would be a crime to not extend this story beyond part 1. But fair warning, I'll be on quite a long break after this story is finished. I need to arrange the events of Shippuden in order for me to write them down without getting confused.

You guys are welcome to help, if you want.

Another warning, you guys know my MO by now. I put a character in pre-existing situations to see the outcome, or change the situation to suit my story. Most would call that plot convenience, but I try to make it as realistic as possible. Deviating from plot to create a new story is a daunting task for anyone, which is why I don't take that risk. At least, not yet. Consider this as forewarning for Shippuden.

I will continue my other story at AO3. For now, crack on!

P.S: I almost forgot! I will be doing a one-shot after this, of Naruto meeting with Team Minato and his mother. I really want to see how it would turn out! In fact, I'm more excited to write that than this chapter! If anyone wants to see Naruto in another comical situation such as that, or any situation, pm me.

Kabuto's face showed an annoyed facial expression as he jumped through the trees. It had been almost an hour since he sent Kimimaro to retrieve Sasuke in case the sound four had been delayed by Konoha's own retrieval team, but no one had returned.

He had been forced to organize a death match on a short notice to select a new body for Orochimaru-sama. While he may have been adamant that he will only have Sasuke's body, he could not deny that the current body had been failing rapidly, despite his insistence that he could hold on. Kabuto had Orochimaru-sama change bodies with the lone survivor of the death match, and on his orders, immediately departed from the base to get Sasuke-kun. And like most of his missions, he had gone alone.

While Kabuto had confidence that he could hold his own against someone of Kakashi's caliber, he was not a spy for nothing. His observational and analytical skills were unparalleled, and so he put it to good use.

Konoha had recently survived an invasion, which was what Orochimaru-sama had based the retrieval mission on. With Konoha rebuilding itself, it would no doubt be sending most of its elite force out of the village on missions, to maintain its image. The point being, Konoha had no team at the moment that could stand up to Sound four and retrieve Sasuke, which meant that the missions should have gone off without a problem.

However, Kabuto suspected that Tsunade had sent a retrieval team, and a competent one at that, if it could hold out Sound four for this long. The jonin and chunin would be out on missions, and genin had no chance of going on an A-rank missions such as this one.....or did they?

Knowing how paranoid the village was about the Sharingan being under their control, they would send out any shinobi that they had.

The only genin that Kabuto could think of were Shikamaru, Chouji, Neji, Shino, Kiba and Naruto. Of all of them, only Neji and Naruto stood a decent chance against one of the sound four. But Naruto had large reserves of chakra, large enough to spam shadow clones without worry, and he had a good idea of what stealth was about, if the way he saved Hayate from Baki was any indication. And, he was ridiculously good, as he had been able to dispatch him off without any trouble.