Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Author's note: Thank you everyone, for following my story! This is the first time I've got so many followers and favorites! And the reviews, OMG, so full of positivity! Please, Don't stop writing them! It warms my heart to read them! Now, as for the story, Temari won't be appearing until the chunin exams, so don't hold up your hopes for her coming early. I said before, that I will try to make this story as long as possible, but I will try my best to keep it interesting. Onto the story!

Naruto and Hiruzen stared in bewilderment at what met their eyes. There were only two envelops that were there. Naruto was a bit disappointed that there were only two envelops remaining of his parents' legacy, but changed the direction of his thoughts immediately. He was taking something at face value, which he would never do. 'Perhaps it's the feelings I experienced last night. Emotions are clouding my judgement', he thought.

'Don't worry about it, Naruto. Feelings and thoughts such as those never truly fade away. You just learn to live with them. Besides, it happens to the best of them', Kurama reassured.

Naruto noticed how Kurama excluded himself from the 'best of them' and rose an eyebrow mentally, 'It does not happen to you?'

Kurama arrogantly puffed up his chest and declared, 'Of course not! I'm the Kyuubi no Kitsune, boy! A being such as I am above such petty things!'

Naruto ignored the pompous rambling of the fox and turned his attention back to the envelops. He quickly took them from their place and checked carefully if there was anything left. Seeing he had taken all there was, he closed the portrait. The seals glowed again, signifying the portrait had been locked back.

A sudden thought struck Hiruzen and he had to resist the urge to smack his forehead for what he was about to do. 'Why didn't I ask this earlier?! Damn the forgetfulness that comes with this age!'

Hiruzen felt really bad but he had to do this right now. Tentatively, he placed his hand on Naruto's shoulder, knocking the boy out of his trance. He was gazing at the envelops as if they were the most precious things in the world to him, which they were.

"Naruto-kun, why weren't you at your room in the orphanage yesterday in the evening?" he asked slowly, as if afraid to find out the answer to that question.

Naruto could not help the flinch that the question brought. When he had told jiji about how he found out his parents' identity last night, he had conveniently forgot to mention that he had been kicked out by the orphanage. He had hoped that jiji would not ask him about that.

In a mumble that Hiruzen barely understood the blonde said, "The matron kicked me out yesterday evening."

Hiruzen suspected that the matron would have deliberately kept Naruto out of the orphanage last night because of the festival, but did not expect him to be thrown out of the orphanage.

White hot anger flooded his veins that he barely restrained from letting it out as killer intent. 'How dare they?! How dare that woman do such a vile thing, throwing a five year old out, knowing he would be killed?! Why is the civilian population of this village so stupid? It's like they don't trust Minato's skills at all!' he raged inside his mind.

However, he knew he was equally at fault. He should have never announced Naruto's status as the jinchuriki of the Kyuubi at all. Naruto would have lived comfortably, without experiencing the hatred of the villagers.

Naruto watched his jiji's face carefully, for any signs of anger. Fortunately, years of being a shinobi and Hokage allowed Hiruzen to keep a neutral face, but Naruto could tell from the subconscious tightening of jiji's hand on his shoulder that he was angry.