Confessions

A/N- Roy's P.O.V.

__________________

        "But most importantly, I wanted to cry because...because..." I took a deep breath and tried to look into her eyes as best I could. "I wanted to cry because I had another chance to tell the woman I loved how I felt."

        I felt Riza tense when I said the word love, and she swiftly stood and let go of my hand, the soft echoes of her hospital slippers telling me she was walking toward the door.

        "I-I need to th-think, sir. I'm taking a walk," she said as I heard the door open.

        'A walk? And Riza doesn't stutter,' I thought. "You're still injured, you can't just leave the room." I chose my words carefully. The door was still open and anyone could listen in.

        "Then I'll take a bodyguard with me." Was she really that desperate to get away from me? Riza doesn't like to be coddled.

        "I see." I tried to keep my tone strictly professional, but it was hard not to sound disappointed when I was practically just rejected by the woman I was in love with. "Don't be gone too long, Lieutenant, you need your rest." With everything else still on my mind, concern for her popped to the front and was my foremost thought. "I wouldn't want you to collapse or get sick."

        Then I heard her sigh and shut the door, and I thought she had left when I heard the same footsteps walk back toward my bed. "I was trying to avoid this," she said as I felt the bed dip, and her arm brush mine. "We're consciously recognizing and admitting our affections. I am...in love with you as well, but it's not going to happen because the fraternization laws prohibit it. God, I never intended for this to happen, I promised myself not to hold you down, and to stop hoping for you to return my feelings. I told myself to be grateful with what little time I had with you." Now would probably be a good time to tell her about my contract.

        "Riza, we don't have to worry about the fraternization laws, I-"

        "No! Roy, I can't! I just...can't do that!" She sounded like she wanted to cry.

        "You didn't let me finish, I-"

        "I love you, Roy Mustang, but I couldn't risk your career, and I couldn't risk losing you! It's too risky for me, and for the people of Amestris. They need you. I need you." With that, she let out a sob and wrapped her arms around me. I held her there for a moment, while she cried into my chest.

        "Riza, you need to know something. I've been talking with General Grummand. We have made an agreement, his payment for assisting us in all of this." She sniffled andhugged me tighter. "He only has so much longer to live. We have agreed that he will become the new fuhrer and I will go back to East Command as General Mustang, no longer a Colonel." She started breathing more deeply. "That's why I told you not to call me the Colonel,' I whispered, before continuing in a normal tone.

        "We agreed that he would be the new fuhrer until he became unfit for service. Then he would pass it on to me."

        Riza pulled back and put my hands on her face. "But that could take years."

        "Shh, you didn't let me finish." She put her hands on my face. "He also promised to take into serious consideration any suggestions I make." I let that sink in for a moment.

        "So...so you could suggest that frat laws be eradicated, or at least modified?"

        "Exactly." I let my thumbs wipe away the few tears that were undoubtedly on her face.

        "Can...can I...?" Riza mumbled a bit, then stopped,coming a little closer. "Can I, um..." I felt her cheeks heat up under my hands. I realized what she was asking.

        I nodded, and leaned in a bit, and I was met with a soft kiss. I felt her hands slide around to behind my neck and I held her face, keeping it gentle so I didn't hurt her neck. Suddenly, she jerked away, and I felt her presence leave the bed.

        "What's wrong? I'm sorry, did I hurt you?" My heart was pounding with worry. Then I heard a little laugh.

        "No, that was great, I just..." I heard her sigh. "What if someone walked in? The frat laws are still in place."

        "Riza, I don't care about the frat laws. I am in love with you. If someone comes in, then they'll come in. I don't care if someone sees me kissing you. Besides, everyone thinks we're resting right?"

        I heard her sigh. "I suppose..."

        "Then come here." She got onto the bed and pushed me back so I was laying down. Then she layed down next to me, and wrapped her arms around me.

        "I'm so glad to have you. But I can't stay here much longer. I need to go back to my bed before someone comes in and finds us in a compromising position."

        I kissed her head. "Yeah, you're right. but just a few more minutes." I liked where I was.

        "Alright." Apparently she did, too.