The Funeral

Kageyama lost all his memories of what happened after that. He passed out shortly after, too emotionally exhausted to care about what happened next.

When he finally woke up again, he was in a bed that he didn't recognize. It was probably supposed to scare him, waking up in an unknown place. But he wasn't, not even slightly.

If he cared about his well-being, he would get up and try and figure out where he was. But he didn't. He just stayed in that strange bed, hoping that if he kept his eyes shut for long enough it would turn out that everything was just a dream.

If I close my eyes for long enough, maybe Hinata will come back.

Of course, a cruel world doesn't listen to the requests of its inhabitants.

After some time that could have been a few minutes, or could have been a few days, Kageyama began to pick up little clues as to where he was. He could hear Daichi's voice in the background occasionally, and someone kept entering the room he was staying in and leaving food beside his bed. Eventually, Kageyama recognized that person to be Sugawara.

However it made no difference. Even after Sugawara had sat down and explained that Kageyama had been staying at his house for the past day, the teenager completely ignored him. He pretended that he couldn't hear the words of the third year.

Even when his mother came to pick him up that evening, he pretended he couldn't hear anything she was saying. Because nothing that anyone else had to say mattered. Not when Hinata wasn't around to hear it.

The second he got home he retreated into his room. He didn't bother to shut the door, just curled up in his bed.

The world was still dark. It probably always would be. Kageyama had accepted that.

He didn't cry anymore. He wasn't sure he knew how to, and there was no point. But the pain in his chest that crept into his neck wouldn't go away. It was like a constant, dull ache.

But he didn't mind. He probably deserved it. Because why should he be okay when Hinata was gone?

I shouldn't. So he remained in his room, barely bothering to move. He ignored every gesture his mother made, trying to get him to eat, take a shower, or even change his clothes. He ignored everyone who stopped by, even Sugawara and Daichi, who had sat with him for a few hours before leaving him alone once again.

His phone was constantly ringing, but Kageyama was too exhausted to pick up or turn the ringer off. So he just stared at the small, vibrating device until it went still again.

He kept up this pattern for another unknown amount of time. Kageyama wasn't sure what his intentions were. He wasn't trying to die, but he didn't care if he did.

Virtually nothing mattered anymore.

What finally broke the spell that Kageyama had put himself under was a small slip of paper that his mother slipped into his hand firmly.

"Let me know if you want to go, and I'll take you." She said before leaving the room. Kageyama wasn't going to read it, but his tiny bit of curiosity got the better of him. He blinked a couple of times, his eyes already adjusted to the total darkness.

There were only a few words scrawled across the paper, but Kageyama understood what it was right away.

Details for the funeral.

He scanned the paper, his tired brain trying to take in all of the information. He picked up his phone and checked the date.

Oh. It's tomorrow.