Sugawara Has a Way With Words

The next morning, Kageyama informed the team that Hinata wasn't going to make it to practice that day. He was met with a flurry of questions, most of which he answers with straightforward, curt responses. After a little while of questioning, the practice began, but it was obvious that everyone was a little off of their game. In both the morning and evening practices, Nishinoya kept messing up on his receives, Kageyama hardly got a single proper set, even Yamaguchi's technique fell on the sloppy side. Daichi stepped out a few times to talk with Coach Ukai and Takeda, and even without being near them Kageyama knew exactly what they were talking about.

Everyone is worried about Hinata.

The thought only made Kageyama more ready for practice to end so he could get to the hospital as soon as possible. Hinata had texted him that morning, telling him to have a good day, and that he hoped to see him later. Kageyama hadn't responded.

"You're in such a rush," Sugawara stepped up behind Kageyama, placing a hand on his shoulder. "What for? You don't usually like cleaning." It was true, the setter wasn't fond of cleaning up after practice. The only days he was usually motivated was when he and Hinata would have their little competitions, often with a bet involved. Since the middle blocker wasn't able to practice anymore, it had become dull and Kageyama was often one of the last ones done.

"I'm going to visit Hinata," he said shortly, dumping the last volleyball into the bin and shaking off the third year's hand. He heard Sugawara let out a soft "oh."

Yeah. Just saying his name kills the mood. Kageyama wasn't sure why there was such a lump in his throat. Was it from anxiety? Annoyance? He couldn't quite figure it out. It wasn't like it was the end of the world, Hinata just wasn't able to practice at the time. But still, Kageyama knew that volleyball was Hinata's world. So in a way, for the small middle blocker, it was the end of the world.

Please come back soon Hinata.

"Do you think he'd mind if I joined you?" Kageyama stopped and turned back to see Sugawara fidgeting with his hands slightly. "It's totally cool if the two of you wanted to be alone but I'd love to see him."

"I don't care," Kageyama shrugged, a bit taken aback by the fact that the third year was asking him. "I don't think Hinata would mind either."

"Awesome!" Sugawara's slightly uncomfortable look was quickly replaced by an easy smile. "Yo Daichi, I'm going with Kageyama! We're gonna go visit Hinata, that's cool with you?" The grey-haired third year turned back to face the team captain, who was chatting with Kiyoko and the two adults in the corner.

"That's no problem, say hello to him for me, and tell him the team missed him today!" Daichi called back. Then his gaze shifted away and back again, and he bit his lip as if hesitating. "Are we still on for tomorrow?" He looked directly at Sugawara as he said it, as only the other third-year must have known what the captain was talking about.

Kageyama watched as Sugawara nodded quickly. "Yep! Of course!" Kageyama thought he could detect a slight change in the vice captain's complexion, but he decided to not question it.

Daichi smiled, and he looked excited for some reason. "Alright, see you tomorrow Suga!"

"See you!" Sugawara turned back to Kageyama, and he took a deep breath as if trying to compose himself. "Alright, so do you walk there? I've gotta admit I haven't been there so I'm not entirely sure where it is." He ruffled his hand through his hair, still looking awkward.

"Yeah, it's about a twenty-minute walk from here," Kagyema began to walk towards the gym door, finished with his cleaning, and intent on heading out. As soon as he pushed open the door he shivered, getting hit by one of the first chills of November.