Travel and Arrival

Kageyama became so enveloped in practices that before he knew it, it was already October 24th, the night before the first day of the tournament. They had spent countless days in the gym, visiting pretty much every day. A few members of the team would arrive hours early, or stay hours later. They had kept up the adrenaline that they were hoping to, and everyone was making great progress.

But as usual, Kageyama and Hinata were working harder than anyone. They had gotten into trouble with the adults and older members of the team more times they could remember, always getting warned about over practicing. But that never stopped the two motivated teens. Even if they couldn't practice at the gym, they would still spend their time working on whatever they could. Their trips to the tree had significantly increased, and they would even go there after practice ended to work on their techniques late into the night.

And that was exactly where they were heading at that very moment. Hinata rolled his bike beside him, and Kageyama strolled on the other side. The practice had ended a few minutes before, but the setter wasn't content. Coach Ukai had left them with strict orders to go straight home and rest as much as they could before the game tomorrow, but the dark-haired first year didn't feel like he would be able to sleep easily. And Hinata must have felt the same way because when Kageyama invited him to the tree on the hill once again, the middle blocker accepted without hesitation. It was rare for the two boys to not be exchanging playful banter or insults, but Kageyama was so wrapped up in his thoughts of the next day that he didn't engage at all.

After a few minutes they arrived at the base of the hill. Kageyama knew they couldn't stay too long, otherwise, they would get in more trouble than he felt like dealing with. The setter watched as Hinata leaned his bike against the base of the hill, and then the two of them began to climb, the silence between them still lingering.

The ginger first year had a volleyball tucked under his arm, and as soon as they reached the top of the hill he tossed it to Kageyama.

"Set for me?" He asked, breathing slightly heavily from the uphill climb. Kageyama agreed with a nod and spun the ball around in his palms a few times to remember the feel for it. He was feeling strangely good at the moment. He would often get in this mode, where everything just felt like it was in the right place. The ball would fit in his palm better, his shoes would form to his feet better, and even his hair would fall nicer than on any other day. All Kageyama could hope for is that this feeling would carry on until the next day, allowing him to bring his best to the match.

The first year tossed up the ball, curving his hands to prepare for a perfect set. Perfect it was. The ball landed in his palm at directly the angle he had predicted it would, and he set it towards Hinata in a perfect arch. The setter's gaze flashed towards the middle blocker just in time to see the young teen's face light up, before leaping up to spike the ball. Kageyama watched his form intensely. Something seemed slightly off about it but he couldn't place it. Hinata seemed smaller than before, but maybe it was just in contrast to the giant tree that loomed behind him.

"I'll get it!" Kageyama blinked. He had been completely focused on Hinata to the point where he didn't pay attention to the ball at all. He wildly looked around to see where it had gone, only to see it picking up speed as it rolled down the hill, the ginger-haired boy chasing after it. There was a mark on the ground where the volleyball had slammed to the grass, tearing up a few blades.

They were powerful, and at that moment Kageyama felt reassured about the next day. If the two of them simply stuck together, their attack could get through anything. So when Hinata arrived back on top of the hill, panting harder than usual, Kageyama suggested they headed home for the night. And while Hinata complained, he eventually complied.