the staircase and a packed bag

two chapters tonight cause I've been slackin' xxx

 My feet padded on the wood floors down the hallway and my cheeks were still rosy with embarrassment. I figured he was in the bathroom but the door was open and the lights were off, I went up the small staircase and there he was, I thought he would be in the guest room but he was just sitting at the top of the stairs with his face in his hands. I ran up and kneeled on the stair in front of him, I put my hands on his knees. I quickly pulled my phone out and texted the three other boys in our group chat.

To the lads:

Michael's upset about something, so when I get him to come downstairs, don't be pricks

I tucked my phone away and spoke softly.

“Michael.. what's wrong?” I rubbed his leg and he took his hands away from his face, his eyes were red from crying and my heart started to hurt.

“My mum..she's leaving for a couple days.. says she can't take it anymore..” He shut his eyes and a tear fell. “My dad is such an asshole Meg.. I'm afraid to go home, she's always there to stand up for me. Now it would be just him against me and god knows I can't win.” A few more tears rolled down his cheeks and I wiped them away. I crawled up and sat next to him and wrapped my arms around him, I put my head on his shoulder and he wrapped his arm around me.

“Come stay with me..while your mum is gone. My mum won't mind, she likes you a lot. And so do I, I don't want you to be upset.. or hurt..ever.” I found myself crying along with him, at the top of Ashton's staircase in the dark.

“I can't, I'm such a fucking burden.”

“You aren't Michael don't-”

“I am!” He shouted, startling me. “My parents are going to get a fucking divorce because I can't get my goddamn life together!”

“Stop it! Stop talking about yourself like that. You're18 years old! You don't need to have your life together. You haven't even graduated highschool yet for fuck sakes.”

“My dad thinks I'm a huge disappointment and a disgrace to the family name because I don't want to be a doctor like him. Sorry I'm not a straight A student, sorry I'm not a allstar athlete, I'm just a stupid kid, who shouldn't have even been born.”

I'd had enough of him talking down on himself, it hurt me. More than anything. I grabbed his face in my hands.

“ENOUGH! So what if you aren't those things? You're you and you're amazing. You make me feel happy and beautiful and you can make my little sister smile and your bestfriends piss themselves laughing. You make my mum swoon and you're incredibly talented, you listen to people and sincerely care. Your smile can light up any room and you make the people around you feel special and loved. And you may not see those things, but I do...and I hate that you don't.” I sobbed. He was silent. Not a word. His eyes watery and warm, but full of sadness. I pressed my forehead onto his and intertwined our fingers. “Please don't ever say that you should have never been born, I never want to hear those words come from your mouth again.” I sniffed and brought my lips to his and kissed him softly before completely wrapping him in a tight hug.

“Can you come with me to get some stuff before going to your house?” He finally spoke and I smiled.

“Of course Michael.”

“Would it be a long shot if I asked you if you had completely forgotten about my boner?”

I giggled and shook my head.

“I have not forgotten, and neither have the boys. We will never live this down.”

“I can't believe you moaned my name in your sleep...in front of the boys.” He laughed and I smiled even bigger at the fact that he wasn't frowning anymore.

“I would've liked it better if I was moaning your name while I was awake...without the boys there.”

“Oh yah?”

“I was dreaming about it.”

“About what exactly.. tell me..” He inched closer and licked his lips, the sadness in his eyes almost completely gone and replaced with lust.

“Well, my fingers were grasping at the roots of your hair...and my thighs were wrapped around your face, and your hands were on my naked chest. There were a couple uses of the word babygirl coming from your mouth and a handful of profanities coming from mine.”

“Jesus..” He swallowed and I watched his adam's apple rise and fall.

“Relax Michael, it was just a dream.” I winked and hopped up, grabbing his hand and pulling him to his feet.

“It doesn't have to be 'just a dream' Meg.”

“I like the sound of that.”

“And I like the sound of you moaning my name.”

“Stop being cheeky.” I pushed his shoulder and he hugged me.

“Seriously Meg..thank you..I really needed that..and I'm so glad I met you.”

“Likewise. Now let's go downstairs, the boys are probably worried.”

I squeezed his hand and we let go just before coming into the living room, the boys looked concerned but I gave them a small smile and nod to say that things were okay now. It was 2am at this point, and my eyes were so heavy, I needed to sleep. We said goodbye to the boys and stopped at Michael's house to grab some stuff, we snuck in the front door and crept up the stairs to his bedroom. When when came downstairs his dad was standing in the middle of the room tapping his foot with his arms crossed across his chest.

“And where do you think you're going?”

His voice was deep, and raspy and his accent was a lot thicker than Michael's. He was tall and very intimidating, my heart started to pound and my palms were sweaty. Michael had said he was scared to be alone with him and I didn't blame him. I looked over at Michael who still hadn't answered, his eyes were glazed over and his hand was shaking. I grabbed it and intertwined our fingers, he squeezed my hand really hard, so hard my knuckles went white.

“Hi, Mr.Clifford? I'm Meg, a friend of your son's and I'm having some personal problems and he offered to stay with me tonight so I wasn't alone. He's quite the gentleman, you should be proud.” I lied out my ass about why he was staying over, if his dad knew the real reason I knew shit would go down. His dad didn't say anything, just stared Michael down with this super intimidating look on his face. Michael gulped and looked down at his feet. “No really sir. Your son helped me get a restraining order against a boy who sexually assaulted me. He is my hero, honestly. And he has been helping me through some tough times. You really raised him right sir.” I meant every single word that I said, and the use of the word sir never hurt anybody.

“Well then, is this true Michael? You helped this girl?” He uncrossed his arms.

“Uh-yes..yea, I did.” Michael mumbled.

“That's my boy. I'm proud of you. Now scram you two, get some sleep. Hopefully I'll get a chance to speak to you and get to know you Meg. You seem like a lovely girl and I'm happy my son has found a strong individual like you to hang around with.” He walked us out the door and Michael let out a huge breath when we got in the car, he was smiling like an idiot.

“Wow....he actually said he was proud of me...I mean, I'm not hearing things right?”

“Nope, you heard correctly. And I meant every word I said back there too.”

He nodded and kissed me slowly, our lips moving perfectly together. We held hands and listened to Ed Sheeran on the way home. We were so good for eachother, he truly did help me so much with the whole Nick situation, plus introducing me to 2 other great friends and making me feel happy for the first time in a long time. And it looked like he needed me just as much as I needed him, it was nice..someone needing me for once. I tried to wipe the stupid smile off my face, but I couldn't. I'd only known this boy for a week, and he'd changed my life. My feelings for him were growing stronger each day, and I could definitely see myself eventually falling in love. I just hoped he felt the same way.