Chapter 19

"What's a Kanima?" Jordan asked us. We all sighed simultaneously, not wanting to explain it again. Scott moved forward, sitting on the arm of the couch and facing Jordan as I sat on the other side of the Deputy. Derek and Lydia stayed standing, facing the three of us.

"We'll get back to that. Just know that everyone like us, everyone with some kind of supernatural ability is on the Deadpool."

Jordan looked around at all of us, shocked. "But I don't even know what I am. How many professional assassins are we talking about?"

"We're starting to lose count."

"But is it still just professionals? I don't think Haigh's ever tried anything like this, I think he was taking a chance."

I leaned forward, resting my arms on my thighs. "That means anyone with the dead pool could take a chance."

"But if Haigh had it, then who else does? How easy is it to get this thing now?"

We all sighed, because none of us knew the answer.

"Meredith was only there once, but I think once was enough." Lydia told us, sitting on the couch now. Derek and Scott stood on either side of the couch while Jordan and I stood next to each other in front of it. We were a tad close, but not close enough to seem suspicious. Our arms would brush every time one of us moves and I had to contain a smile, because he simply wouldn't stop moving his arm. Lydia thinks her grandmother is the Benefactor, she was explaining to us how she drove Meredith to insanity. 

"How did your grandmother know her?"

"She didn't, she found her, because of another woman named Maddy, the woman she loved. I never met her, but I saw her name everywhere. She used to be part of a yacht racing team. There were plaques and trophies in the lake house from all the regattas she'd won."

"How'd she die?"

"How's not the story, it's what happened right before. My grandmother, Lorraine, used to work in San Francisco for IBM. She was there on a weekend, catching up on work. She started hearing this sound, like rain, but when she looked out the windows, all she saw was blue sky. But she kept hearing the rain, and it just kept getting louder. Rain and thunder cracking like gunshots in her head so loud, she finally just screamed."

"Like a Banshee."Derek mumbled, his arms crossed and his biceps bulging. (A/N: Yum, Derek's biceps are life.)

"She called Maddy who was planning on taking one of the boats out on the lake, but Maddy said that the sun was shining there too, so Lorraine didn't say anything. Maddy was in an accident, it took them four days to find Maddy's body, and then it took decades to figure out how Lorraine knew. She started with parapsychologists, like the PhD in their name made it more scientific. They built the study in the lake house according to every pseudoscientific theory they could find, but none of it worked. So then she started going to more extreme occult, things like mediums and psychics. All of them were failures, until she found Meredith. They found her in Eichen House, this fragile girl who didn't understand the things she heard. They brought her to the study, and they almost killed her. She was hospitalized for over a year, she never really recovered. My grandmother drove her insane and I drove her to suicide. All she ever wanted to do was help. My grandmother created the code for the dead pool. They think she's the Banshee who put the names out in the first place. She left me this message in the same code."

"But she didn't leave a cipher key, did she?" All Lydia could do was shake her head.