XV. His Master, Displeased

In the eyes of... Ciel Phantomhive

My parents' house suddenly caught fire. I saw my father and mother burn slowly and I screamed for help but there was nobody there. Suddenly, from the darkness, Sebastian appeared. "Please help me! Please!" I screamed as my parents burned to a crisp. "I only need one thing.." Sebastians eyes glowed and I immediately knew what he wanted. "No, please! Anything but that!" I shouted. Sebastian smirked as he looked into the fire. Where my parents had been now laid a pile of ashes. "You're too late!" He laughed. "No!" I screamed in horror as tears streamed down my face.

I shot up from the bed, covered in sweat. My eyes wet from crying. That dream was absolutely terrifying. It was a twisted version of a dream I'd had many times. Without the glowing eyes. I shivered.

There was only one person who could make me feel better.

"Sebastian!" I called. 

I didn't feel as sick as a few hours ago. Sebastian's tea had helped.

What was taking him so long?

Three seconds later, I called again. 

The door opened and an unfamiliar man walked into the room. He had dark brown hair and he was almost as tall as Sebastian. I grabbed a lamp from beside me and held it up in the air.

"WHO ARE YOU?!" I screamed.

The man held his hands up in surrender.

"Whoa, I'm only here to serve you! Hasn't Sebastian told you?"

"Told me what?!" I yelled.

"There's a letter for you, on the table."

I looked on my nightstand and there was, indeed, a letter. I instantly recognized Sebastian's handwriting. And if this man would have been an intruder, he could never have entered the house without Mey-Rin, Bard and Finny knowing.

I lowered the lamp and snatched the letter from the nightstand. My hands trembled as I read it's contents.

Dear Master,

I am sorry to tell you like this but there was no other way. I have left the mansion to spare you any more scarring experiences. I apologize for my behavior over the last few days. Thankfully, mating season is almost over. It'll be just two to three more days now. I have decided it be best for you if I spent those days alone. I have hired a very capable servant by the name of Jack Edwards to take my place in the meantime. He is a fine butler and investigator and is sworn to secrecy. I guarantee that you can trust him. He can help you continue the investigation while I'm away. I've already informed him on the case.

I hope to see you soon again.

Sincerely yours,

Sebastian Michaelis.

I put down the letter and stared ahead of me. Two days without Sebastian.. What a.. I can't believe he just left me! When he comes back I'll make him pay for this! Leaving me a stupid letter.. Like that is any good! He couldn't even tell me in person!

I rip the letter into little pieces and throw it in the air.

Then I look at Jack, still standing by the door.

"Clean this up," I get up out of bed. 

"And when you're done, get me ready to go out. We're continuing the investigation."

"Yes, sir!" Jack said cheerfully.

I ground my teeth.

"Don't call me that." I snapped.

"Oh right! Sebastian told me.."

Jack got down on one knee like Sebastian always did.

I frowned.

"Yes, my lord." He said.

This made me even angrier. I stalked out of the room and slammed the door behind me.

...

It was two hours later when Jack and I walked through the buzzing streets of London. There was really no point to being here. The café had gone up in flames and there were no clues left. I'd already spoken to Scotland Yard and they were also unable to find any more information. Howard had vanished. We knew he wasn't dead, he'd fled the scene after firing the bomb yesterday. But where..

"Look, master! Over there! It is Jessica Sparkes! She was on the list of people who were at the party Sebastian gave me!"

I flinched hearing his name.

"We should ask her if she knows more!" Jack said excitedly.

This man's childish attitude really irritated me. How long till Sebastian would be back again?

I nodded and we approached the woman.

"Excuse me? Weren't you at Howards party yesterday-"

"You must have me confused with someone else," The woman interrupted quickly, moving to walk away.

"We're asking because we were at the party too." 

The woman stopped and and looked from me to him. 

"Right.. I remember." Her eyes lingered on me. I avoided eye-contact.

"We would like to know the new address." Jack smiled charismatically.

The woman's face lit up. She smiled and leaned closer.

"There is a party tomorrow night. Here is the address." The woman handed Jack a note.

"It starts at 10:00 PM. I hope to see you there." She smiled before walking away.

Jack wasn't too bad of a detective.

But still, Sebastian would have gotten me this information in five minutes. Being with Jack was absolutely dreadful.

When Sebastian told me about mating season and the risks it would have for me, I knew it would have some negative effects. And I accepted that. For him to decide on his own what is best for me is completely out if line and irrational.

I hated him for leaving my side and I wanted to find him just to slap him.

I scrunched up the paper in aggravation. I refused to solve this case with this imbecile by my side.

No one could ever replace Sebastian. Being without him was really hard. I didn't know why but it almost physically hurt to be without him. And it had only been a few hours. Imagine what a few days would feel like. No, I couldn't imagine that. I refused to.

I missed-

I mean, I needed Sebastian. Just for the case. That was probably why I felt the way I did. Doing my job as the Queen's Watchdog was important to me. And I couldn't do it well without Sebastian. That was the only reason I felt this way. It had to be.

I turned to Jack.

"Do you know where Sebastian is?"