alone(maine)

Requester: N/A
Prompt: #14, "Look, I know we don't know each other that well, but I'm still worried about you. No one deserves to be alone."
Gender: M/F
Word Count: 810

You're standing, waiting for the freelancers to come off the airship. You were informed that there were multiple wounded soldiers onboard, and as a nurse-in-training, part of your job was to make sure the wounded got to the medical bay as quickly as possible. Carolina exited the ship, with York's arm over her shoulder. She refused to let anyone touch him, insisting she'd get him to the med bay herself. Following her was Washington and North, supporting Maine between themselves. He was in bad shape.

You quickly instructed them towards a stretcher, assuring the agents that their wounds would be looked over. Once they were seen to, you assisted in transporting Maine, doing as much as you could to assess his injuries while on the move.

He was transferred to a bed in the medical room, and an emergency procedure was performed on him to fix him up as best as could be. The wounds he suffered would prevent him from speaking ever again.

It was a long few days before Agent Maine woke up. His fellow Agents checked on him frequently, but none but you were there when his eyes opened for the first time since the procedure. You gave him a comforting smile, and called for a doctor.

They looked him over, and the decided that he wasn't to be active in any missions for the next two weeks. You could tell he was angry, so you stuck around and talked to him for a while after. It became a habit to sit next to him after your shift and tell him about your day. And, although at first he seemed annoyed, he eventually grew to appreciate your presence, since the other Agents were busy with missions again.

There was a point on one of your days off where you checked up on him in his room, smiling to see Carolina and York by his side, talking to him. You figured he'd be okay for the day.

When you returned later that day, just to make sure he was alright, you found him sitting up and staring at his hands. He seemed... Irritated. But why? You poked your head into his room, trying to stay quiet so that none of your coworkers would hear you. Typically, medical staff stayed in their rooms on their days off.

"Agent Maine?" You called softly. "Are you alright?"

He looks up at you, and you see something in his gaze change. It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. You approach him and take a seat by his bed. He waves in greeting.

"I saw you seemed kind of upset. And, well. I know that we don't really know each other that well, but I'm still worried about you." You smile crookedly. "No one deserves to be alone, after all."

He stares at you for a long time, then shakes his head. You lose your smile, tilting your head slightly. You get up and start rummaging around in shelves and drawers. Finally, you come up with a paper and pen. You offer Maine the items, tilting your head invitingly.

He stares at them for a long time, then takes them. He turns towards the table at his side, and starts scribbling on the paper quickly. You wait patiently. Finally, he gives you the paper.

The Director dropped me on the leaderboard. It's to be expected, but... Still annoying.

You frown a little. Without really understanding the competition between the agents, you do your best to comfort him. He scribbles down responses every now and then, sometimes furrowing his eyebrows in anger and he releases his stress into the pages.

Hours go by. You hardly notice the passage of time until you find yourself yawning tiredly. You stretch your arms above you head.

"Well, Agent Maine," you manage softly, "I suppose I should go back to my room. It's getting late, and we should both rest." You get up from the bed, waving to him with a smile.

"Goodni-" you're interrupted by your own noise of surprise. Maine had caught your wrist, and was scribbling on his paper again with the other hand.

Stay. I like talking to you. Nobody else listens.

You smile softly, and move to sit down again, but he pulls you up to lay on the hospital bed with him. He pulls the paper to rest on your legs, wrapping his arm around your waist to be able to write comfortably.

I doubt anyone else will be coming around tonight. And I don't want to be alone.

You nod, and rest your head on his shoulder. You talk to him in whispers and scribbles until eventually he falls asleep listening to you tell one of your stories from before Project Freelancer. You smile, ignoring how much trouble you'll probably be in, and slip into a peaceful, happy sleep.