thief(grif)

Requester: Red Vs Red, ao3
Prompt: #85"You're jealous, aren't you?" "I'm not jealous."
Gender: M/F
Word count: 1314

You were pulled aside by Grif one day while trying to settle down in the mess hall for lunch. He seemed distressed, like something super serious was very wrong. Obviously caring a lot for the male, you abandoned your place at the table and followed him to a separate room, where he paced back and forth worriedly.

"(L/N), I need your help. This is super über important to me, but you gotta promise not to tell anyone else, 'cause they'll just laugh," he had started. You crossed your arms, tilting your head slightly.

"Grif, what's wrong? You look like you haven't slept. Are you okay?" He had put his hands on your shoulders and leaned close, and you could see the exhaustion, mixed with fear and a hint of anger, in his eyes.

"Someone's been stealing all my snacks," he said solemnly. "I've been staying up all night trying to catch them in the act. I think I know who it is, but... I also think he's onto me." He'd lowered his voice to a whisper, his eyes darting around. You sigh, exasperated. It was not what you had anticipated.

"Okay, who do you think it is?" You responded, raising an eyebrow. He glanced around again.

"I think it's that guy Bitters," he had admitted quietly.

"Your lieutenant?" You were surprised, but also... It was only a matter of time. The two are practically identical.

"Yeah! He's the only other one who knows where everything is in my room, aside from you and me, and I trust you enough not to steal from me-" he paused. "You wouldn't do that... Would you?"

"No!" You were offended that he'd even consider that. "You know I wouldn't do that to you. So, what do you need my help with?"

"Well, I think Bitters knows I'm onto him. I don't want him to start covering up his tracks- I want to catch him in the act. So I need you to keep an eye on him and try to get like, I don't know. Video of him with your helmet cam. I- this is really important to me, (L/N), please." You sighed, coming up with a plan as you stood there, his hands heavy on your shoulders.

"Alright. I'll see what I can do," you relented. "Get some sleep, Grif. Jesus." He had pulled you into a big hug, holding you tightly.

"Thank you so much," he had said sincerely.

Presently, a few days after Grif's reveal, you sit beside Bitters in the mess hall, talking about whatever comes up. He responds to you in short bursts, and only when he really wants to. You wonder if he's suspicious of you.

You're picking at your food when suddenly you get an idea. Grif said Bitters was taking his food, so... If you share, will he like you more? You glance at his tray, which he's nearly finished, and slide your tray closer to him.

"Hey, do you want any of mine?" you offer him quietly. You didn't want anyone to overhear you, because then you'd be bombarded for days. He looks at you, squinting slightly. You give him a polite smile. "I'm not really hungry right now, I'll probably come by later for something."

He shrugs, taking you up on your offer. You hum quietly, nodding to a tune that only you could hear. Bitters seems to have relaxed significantly, which you find pretty suspicious but you don't say anything on the matter. Finally, he looks at you.

"You sure you're not hungry? I will gladly finish this," he says. You nod and wave your hand for him to go ahead. "Whatever. Thanks." You smile.

Suddenly, the hairs on the back of your neck stand, and you feel a pair of eyes boring into the back of your skull. You glance around quickly, squinting to try and find the culprit, your eyes meeting Grif's a few moments later. He shifts, seeming uncomfortable. You hold his gaze for a few minutes longer until he looks away and leaves.

You can't help the sense of guilt that washes over you as you think about the look in Grif's eyes.

A couple of days go by, and you catch Grif staring at you way more often now that you've actually managed to get yourself into a position of friendship with Bitters. It makes you a little uncomfortable, but you've convinced yourself that he's just making sure you're doing what he asked you to.

Sharing your food had become a common occurrence from you to Bitters, and it's how you've managed to get him to open up a little more. He's still not exactly an open book, but he's definitely more at ease around you, enough that you notice his entire attitude change around Grif. It's definitely the reaction that a guilty man would have. You're about you say something quick to Bitters when Grif comes by.

"(L/N), I wanna talk to you. Can you come with me for a moment?" He glares briefly at Bitters, who ignores him for the most part. You look up at Grif, confused and concerned. He doesn't seem as stressed out as before, but you can tell that there's something else on his mind. You excuse yourself to Bitters, who barely gives you a nod, and make your way back to the same spot as before.

"What the hell is going on, (L/N)?" Grif asks immediately. You take a small step back.

"What do you mean? I'm doing what you asked." You don't understand. He waves his hand slightly.

"Forget that, why the hell are you always with him now??" You furrow your eyebrows, looking down at the ground as your mind slowly begins to connect the dots. Finally, you look up at him, a knowing smirk gracing your lips.

"You're jealous, aren't you?" His eyes widen, and he hesitates for just a second.

"I'm not jealous," he responds. You cross your arms.

"Oh really? Then what are those looks you keep giving me in the mess hall? Why do you always glare at Bitters when you see us talking? You know, it's ironic. You're the one who told me to do this in the first place, and now here you are-"

"Look, I told you to try and find out if he was the one stealing my fucking shit! I never told you to get all friendly and hang out with him every day." His voice lowers slightly, and he looks away. "I never thought that you'd pick him over me..." Your gaze softens, and you step closer. He steps away.

"Here I am, here I've always been, ever since back in Blood Gulch, and yet you would rather hang out with that fucking thief..." He sighs heavily. "It's almost like he's stealing you, too..."

"Grif, that's not what happening," you say lightly, placing your hand on his arm gently. When he doesn't move, you step closer and hug him. "I'm not abandoning you, Grif. I just... I thought it would be easier to get the information out of him if I could get close and have him tell me outright. It seems silly, now..." He lets out a heavy sigh and places one of his hands on your head gently.

"You know, I don't think catching him is that important, anyway. Eventually, he'll find something he's not supposed to eat, and then we'll know because he'll be God awfully sick." You rest your head against his shoulder, closing your eyes. "(L/N), are you okay?"

"Huh? Yeah, I'm alright. Sorry." You let go of him and step back.

"You know, I think we should take a nap together sometime. Like we used to, back in Blood Gulch. We haven't gotten an opportunity to in a long while," he offers. You nod a little.

"You know... I'd like that."