rough(york)

Requester: N/A
Prompt: #21, "I've had a rough day and honestly, all I want right now is a drink and someone to cuddle with..."
Gender: M/F
Word count: 597

The door slides shut behind you and you pull your helmet off, setting it to the side. The weight of your armour was beginning to crush you at this point. With shaking fingers, you unlatch your chest plate and set it on the floor in a corner, your shoulders slumping as you sigh softly. You could feel the burn of frustrated tears in your eyes.

You look around the room quietly, moving across the floor and lying down on the bed, curling up in a ball and holding the blanket close. York wouldn't be back for a few days yet, but it's already been a week and the pressure among the rest of the freelancers was starting to become a bit too much. Your only source of comfort was being an absolute weirdo and hanging around in his room while he was away.

You yawn softly, figuring nobody would come looking for you for a while, and that you had enough time to take a short nap. You felt like you deserved it after all the shit that Carolina and South put you through. You close your eyes, a few tears slipping down the side of your cheek.

What feels like just a few minutes later, you're abruptly awoken by the sound of the door sliding open. You sit up quickly, rubbing your eyes to try and clear the drowsiness so that you could at least pretend you weren't sleeping. Your heart stops when you see who it is, currently in the process of taking his helmet off. He doesn't seem to have noticed you yet, but it's only a matter of time before he notices your helmet and-

He looks over at you and you comb your fingers through your hair awkwardly, shifting slightly. You can see just from his expression that something hadn't gone quite right with the mission, and that was why he was back so early. You get up and walk over silently, helping him out of his armour. For a while, no words are shared.

"How'd it go?" You question finally, watching him make his way over to his mini-fridge to pull out a beer. He cracks the can open and sighs heavily.

"I don't know if I want to talk about it right now," he responds. You nod understandingly.

"That's okay. I wouldn't want to talk about my days here, either," you say quietly. He takes a long sip of his drink and closes his eyes.

"I've just... I've had a rough day, and honestly? All I want is a drink," he raises his can, "and someone to cuddle with." He opens his free arm to you, and you smile, taking a moment to remove the rest of your armour before stepping close to him and wrapping your arms around him tightly. He holds you close by your shoulders, resting his head gently on top of yours.

A few moments later, he finishes his drink and picks you up suddenly, earning a very unflattering squeak, and then the both of you are lying down, snuggled up close and comfortable. You hide your head against his chest, holding onto him so tight it was as if you feared he would disappear any moment. As a freelancer, maybe he will. He pets your head gently.

"I missed you, y'know?" He says quietly. You nod a little. "I guess I didn't realise how lonely solo missions get."

"I know," you respond, muffled. "But we're here now... That's what matters." He hums softly and kisses the top of your head.

"I suppose you're right."