natural(washington)

Requester: HappyHappiny, ao3
Prompt: #11, "It's not a double date. We're just third and fourth wheeling."
Gender: F
Word count: 2817

Deep breaths, you think to yourself. Don't panic. Don't overreact. He only suggested something really fucking crazy. No big deal. York stood in front of you, grinning brightly. He seemed proud of himself. You mull over his words in your head, debating them and wondering if his proposal could work.

"Well, (L/N)?" You snap out of your thoughts, looking at him. "What do you think? Me, Carolina, you, and Wash. We can go to the nearby bar, or to a nice restaurant." You hesitate.

"I- hm... I don't know. Wash and I aren't dating... So I don't know if it would really count as a double date. Maybe you should ask someone else-"

"Nonsense, (Y/N). You don't have to be dating. I mean, Carolina and I are together and maybe that's why you think you have to. But, I mean. Most people who go on dates aren't together at first. That comes later." He winks, and you look away.

"I don't want to be with Wash, York. We're just... Really close friends." You see his doubtful look and sigh. "Fine, I'll try to convince David. But I'm not going anywhere near Carolina."

"Deal!" He agrees eagerly.

You sigh, shifting your weight mildly as you sat on Wash's bed, watching him play some FPS on his console. You're still coming to terms with the fact that you agreed to York's idea of a double date. You haven't even said anything to Wash yet, just asked to come over and hang out.

So here you were. You notice him glance towards you during a moment when he's given a break by a death screen. His eyes are curious, and a little concerned. It's cute.

"Are you okay, (Y/N)?" He asks, turning back to the screen as his character respawns. "You seem distracted. You know you can tell me anything. We've been best friends for years." Best friends. You sigh again.

"I'm okay. I'm just... Thinking," you respond lightly. You know what he'll ask next.

"Thinkin' about what?" There it is. You take a deep breath, calming your nerves. He's your best friend, for God's sake!

"York invited us to go with him to some restaurant or bar. He calls it a double date, but I don't... If you'd rather not refer to it as a date between us, that's cool. I don't mind." You manage, as calmly as you can. He pauses the game(which seems a little redundant) and turns to you. You want to mention that his game isn't actually paused since it's online, but he probably knows that, so you stay quiet. He stares at you for a long moment, and you wonder if this is how York felt when you stared at him after the original suggestion.

"Sure, I'll go. We don't have to consider it a date if that makes you uncomfortable. We can just be two friends hanging out with mutual friends who happen to be dating." He smiles at you reassuringly. "Besides, it'll be nice to see York and Carolina again. It's been a while. When is it?" You're staring open-mouthed at Wash with such surprise that you hardly register his words as a question. He begins to turn red, and you see him start to fidget as he starts to question himself, so you quickly snap out of your state of shock and place your hand on his shoulder to steady him.

"It's, uh... It's this Saturday, later in the evening. York wants it to be something really nice, so I don't think our usual jeans and a t-shirt will work. Do you want me to help you pick something out while I'm here?" You offer, trying to change the topic, even if it's only a slightly different path. He calms down as you answer him, and picks up his controller, exiting the match and shutting down the system. He gives a tiny nod.