healing(carolina)

Requester: N/A
Prompt: #105, "If you don't rest, you won't heal."
Gender: M/F
Word count: 472

She wakes up with a start, gasping and sitting up quickly. You're right there by her side, your hands on her shoulders, holding her gently.

"Wash!" She calls. "David! Where's David?" She looks at you with panic in her eyes. You swallow, looking away.

"We... Don't know. We only found you, Carolina," you say softly. You assure her quickly, "But we'll find him." She starts to get up, but you hold her firmly in place.

"They," you say, emphasising on the word, "will find him." The rest of the Shatter Squad steps into the room. They were in another, waiting for her to wake up. You stand, letting the others take the time to question her. There was more work to do.

Once everyone had stepped out of the room, leaving Carolina on her own, you returned to her to re-assess her injuries from her fight. She looked crushed, emotionally. But she was also in pretty bad shape physically. You hummed quietly to yourself while collecting bandages to redress her wounds.

"I have to help them," she says suddenly. You look up at her.

"Hm?"

"The Shatter Squad. I can't just sit here while they put themselves in danger. Those... People... The kids don't know what they're up against." You smile at her concern.

"They are more than capable of handling themselves, Carolina. Rest assured." She shakes her head slowly.

"I didn't expect you to understand. You've always had it so much easier. Even back on the M.O.I, all you had to do was take care of us when we were hurt, and check up on us when we weren't." You frown.

"You won't be able to do anything to help them with your injuries the way they are, Carolina. You know this as well as I do."

"I can fight," she says stubbornly.

"But how long will you last? Long enough to make it worth reopening your wounds? I doubt it." You point one finger at her. "You will stay put. Maybe if you put half as much effort into recovering as you do into arguing with me, your doctor, then you would be able to help them sooner."

She crosses her arms. You know she's not entirely convinced. As you're working to rewrap some bandaging around her chest, she gives a heavy sigh.

"You're worried about Washington, I know," you say quietly. She nods. She was pretty easy to read. "One and the others will get him back for you. And you know that when he comes back, I'll be right here to help him. I always have been, after all. Right now, you need to rest, or you-"

"Won't heal, I know. You've told us that before, (L/N)." She smiles at you, and it's comforting.

"Well, I can't help it. It still rings true, even after all these years."