Chapter 24: When You Believe

Quasimodo saw his brother leaving the palace. "W-What did he say?" Moses looked at him sadly. He said we could go. Part of him felt relieved. Their people were finally allowed to leave Egypt. But what had it cost?

Innocent people had suffered! The plagues had taken their toll on everybody. Out of all the plagues it was the last one that had shocked him. The death of a first born. 

He could here the people mourning over the loss of their children. Judging by the sadness in his brothers eyes, he could only assume that Rameses son had died as well. As they were walking back Moses collapsed against a wall and began to cry.

Quasimodo was shocked. After all the time he had known him, not once had he seen his brother cry. He placed a comforting hand on his brothers shoulder. Moses looked up at him tears staining his face. "We should go and tell Miriam the good news ."

Moses nodded and wiped the tears from his eyes as they made their way back to the other Jews. Zafira and Tzipporah saw their husbands walking toward the house and they ran out to greet them.

Zafira looked at the sad expression on her husbands face and hugged him. Quasimodo and Moses looked up to see Miriam approach them. They both looked down, the pain of all that had happened to much to bear.

"Many nights we've prayed"

"With no proof anyone could hear"

She sang placing a hand on Moses's shoulder. He looked up at her still saddened by all that had happened.

"In our hearts a hopeful song"

"We barely understood"

As Miriam sang this Quasimodo noticed that people were slowly leaving their homes.

"Now we are not afraid"

"Although we know there's much to fear"

"We were moving mountains"

"Long before we knew we could"

She looked to the crowd around her as she continued her song.

"There can be miracles"

"When you believe"

"Though hope is frail"

" It's hard to kill"

"Who knows what miracles"

"You can achieve"

" When you believe"

"Somehow you will"

"You will when you"

"Believe"